Composting chicken run

Pics
Not sure if I mentioned that I found a chicken swap Saturday. I checked with 2 people I know with chickens and they didn't have any to sell. So I'm hoping to find at least 4 at the swap and add them to the compost workers. I'm typing 4 but in my mind I'm saying 6. Maybe they will be cheaper by the dozen? Two granddaughters want to ride along. I think hubby is picking up another load of mulch so I'm getting a good start on everything. I started dumping the chicken mash on top of the straw and mulch and they are going after it. I need to open the boss tomorrow. It's supposed to be one of our warmest days.

Not sure if I mentioned that I found a chicken swap Saturday. I checked with 2 people I know with chickens and they didn't have any to sell. So I'm hoping to find at least 4 at the swap and add them to the compost workers. I'm typing 4 but in my mind I'm saying 6. Maybe they will be cheaper by the dozen? Two granddaughters want to ride along. I think hubby is picking up another load of mulch so I'm getting a good start on everything. I started dumping the chicken mash on top of the straw and mulch and they are going after it. I need to open the boss tomorrow. It's supposed to be one of our warmest days.

We don't have chicken swaps around here (that I'm aware of) ...but I have solid luck on Craigslist if I find myself looking for a few new chickens.

4-6 (or more) compost workers should be good, especially as it sounds like you're already showing your two existing workers "the way".

Keep us posted!

That was my thought, too - adding plastics to the soil sounds dreadful.
I don't think anyone is advocating adding plastics to the soil.

Styrofoam is not plastic, from what I have read. Polystyrene breaks down into its basic build block which is styrene, a naturally occurring organic compound found in things like cinnamon and strawberries. Unlike strawberries, it might take 500+ years for Styrofoam to break down. Since nobody recycles or reuses Styrofoam, it just fills up the landfills as trash. Not a good thing.

Having said that, the issue was that Leon, from the YouTube channel "Gardening With Leon" was advocating using loose fill Styrofoam balls as a potting mix amendment to replace the more expensive alternatives of perlite and vermiculite. I became interested in maybe using Styrofoam in my homemade potting mix because I can no longer get bulk perlite and/or vermiculite locally. My local Menards stopped selling it in the big 3 and 4 cubic foot bags for $20.00. Now you have to buy it in small 8 quart bags in the garden center at 3 to 4X the cost, or about $60.00 for the equivalent to the large bulk bags.

However, I found out that I can order the loose fill Styrofoam balls for the potting mix for less than $1.50 per cubic foot, or about $4.50 equivalent to the large bulk bags. That is a lot less expensive. Of course, Styrofoam only provides aeration to the potting mix and has no ability to retain water. I guess that makes if more like perlite, because the advantage to vermiculite is that it retains water.

For the past number of years, I have been making my own potting mix with homemade compost. My potting mix is 1/3 compost, 1/3 perlite or vermiculite, 1/3 peat moss or coconut coir. This year, I will need something to replace the vermiculite which is no longer sold at our local stores at the bulk bag rate.

Does anyone know why bulk vermiculite has been discontinued? I have asked the stores, but nobody has a clue why it is no longer shipping.

I don't think anyone is advocating adding plastics to the soil.

Styrofoam is not plastic, from what I have read. Polystyrene breaks down into its basic build block which is styrene, a naturally occurring organic compound found in things like cinnamon and strawberries. Unlike strawberries, it might take 500+ years for Styrofoam to break down. Since nobody recycles or reuses Styrofoam, it just fills up the landfills as trash. Not a good thing.

Having said that, the issue was that Leon, from the YouTube channel "Gardening With Leon" was advocating using loose fill Styrofoam balls as a potting mix amendment to replace the more expensive alternatives of perlite and vermiculite. I became interested in maybe using Styrofoam in my homemade potting mix because I can no longer get bulk perlite and/or vermiculite locally. My local Menards stopped selling it in the big 3 and 4 cubic foot bags for $20.00. Now you have to buy it in small 8 quart bags in the garden center at 3 to 4X the cost, or about $60.00 for the equivalent to the large bulk bags.

However, I found out that I can order the loose fill Styrofoam balls for the potting mix for less than $1.50 per cubic foot, or about $4.50 equivalent to the large bulk bags. That is a lot less expensive. Of course, Styrofoam only provides aeration to the potting mix and has no ability to retain water. I guess that makes if more like perlite, because the advantage to vermiculite is that it retains water.

For the past number of years, I have been making my own potting mix with homemade compost. My potting mix is 1/3 compost, 1/3 perlite or vermiculite, 1/3 peat moss or coconut coir. This year, I will need something to replace the vermiculite which is no longer sold at our local stores at the bulk bag rate.

Does anyone know why bulk vermiculite has been discontinued? I have asked the stores, but nobody has a clue why it is no longer shipping.
I just seem perlite and vermiculite in large bags at Home Depot two days ago. Is there one near you?

Back
Top Bottom