Composting litter & mite infestation

Sweetchicks72

Chirping
5 Years
May 8, 2015
Hello,
I practice the deep litter method. I normally throw it in my compost once or twice a year when I do a major clean out. But I had mites on my girls, so I scooped out all litter (it’s in a large trash can right now), sprayed everyone’s butts with Elector, sprayed their house and nesting boxes and their run. What do I do with the litter? I can’t burn it, grumpy neighbor. Should I throw it in the trash, spray it with elector then throw it away? Spray with elector and then compost?
Thank you!

Probably depends on how much material you're dealing with. If you have a smaller set up and it's feasible to toss it a little at a time, that's an option. Otherwise, if your compost pile is a decent distance away, I'd consider just throwing it in compost as you normally do, sans spraying, as the mites should starve by the time you're ready to harvest the compost for use.

Probably depends on how much material you're dealing with. If you have a smaller set up and it's feasible to toss it a little at a time, that's an option. Otherwise, if your compost pile is a decent distance away, I'd consider just throwing it in compost as you normally do, sans spraying, as the mites should starve by the time you're ready to harvest the compost for use.
It’s my entire trash can! And I know it’s too heavy for waste management to pick up. Lol
So I’m going to have to throw it away slowly. Or I could dump it farther away than my current compost.

I have compost piles out beyond my coops. I put all of the shavings in the compost piles. When I clean out my coops I usually sprinkle poultry dust in the new shavings when I put them in the coops.

Back
Top Bottom