Computer Nerds - I need your advice!

Quote:

Well said!
BUT, I think that any computer should last much longer than just six months. I keep all of mine for at least two years, longer if it's still doing everything that I want it to.

Last edited:
The quality of my life would improve I'm sure, but what about my cats/chickens? I mean I do chores, feed the animals, file my nails, watch the news while I'm waiting!
caf.gif

Are there any cheap computers to stay away from?

Quote:
Thanks Joe but my laptop is a 24/7 tool. It starts it's day overheating on
my bed, gets transfered to a pedestal in my van where it runs all day
in the heat and cold, gets greasy and dirty, returns home to my kitchen
counter as I'm cooking and such, and then goes to hell in my room to
overheat again. It's never off and even gets dropped and hit with things.

My desktop is a Sony Vaio with major upgrades and multiple monitors.
It's pushing 7 years old and still runs great.
smile.png

Got an old style Imac too that's been recently retired.

I sell my broken laptops on Ebay for parts and usually end up getting
back at least 40%. It works well for me.

Wow. My computer better last more than a couple of years even! I've never been part of that "just throw it out" attitude our society has. I mean, look, I'm still able to be online and all, it's just so slow. I am not a fan of Walmart either but had to get cheap tires there just this week. Got more than that, too, they put the first scratches on my car. Manager has agreed to pay for repair.

Scoop, bring up the task manager (ctl alt del one time) and see what's running. sounds like Norton is sucking up all your RAM. you can close any application you don't need in the task manager if you don't have any luck uninstalling it. DO NOT DELETE PROGRAMS !!! look inside your computer and see if you have any slots left for more RAM. keep in mind there's only so much you can do with dial up even with a faster box. i have some old RAM from a couple W95 boxes i can send you if you can use it.

Quote:
I try not to throw anything out, all my computers are outdated but work just fine, I am on cable though. The slowest I have is a old IBM thinkpad with windows 2000. Now it is nestled under my two printers and it's only job is as a wireless print server. I only replace mine when they die. The laptop I use the most is 5 years old, my wife's is close to 10. And the server for communications I rebuilt 3 years ago.

One thing to remember is today's technology is outdated tomorow. Look for deals on slightly older tech computers. If you try to keep up with current tech you spend lots of money and a losing battle. I watch movies and stream videos just fine on my 5 year old laptop.

The talk of using slightly older technology at a reduced price is definitely not a bad idea. If you do really intense "gaming" or graphics or number crunching then sure, get the latest, greatest, super-hyper speed computer that you can find. But for us normal folks using word processors, working spreadsheets, looking at pictures of the family reunion or the granddaughter
smile.png
, checking email, surfing the internet, etc., then we don't need the latest, greatest. Computers have evolved enough over the last few years whereas the low-end systems are rocketships compared to the computers of the 90's.

The first "PC" that I bought back in 1993(?) had 2 megs of RAM, 3.5" and 5.25" diskdrives, a 65meg RLL harddrive, 256k video memory, a 2400 baud modem, .31dp monitor, and no mouse or operating system. I installed DOS 3.x....only a few years later adding Win3.1 when Gates decided to kill DOS. The package cost....~$2100.00. Imagine what you could get for that much now!!!! With the demise of the expensive CRT and the explosion of cheap LCD screens it is a buyer's market if you have the cash.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom