Concern for broody

Gosh, thanks so much. I really appreciate your words. I just thought maybe I was a terrible chicken owner.
No, it's normal. I currently have 3 broody hens with three different batches. It's a mad house trying to sort it all out. I know I gotta rough week or so than it should all be mostly fine.

I find brooding chicks myself less stressful than letting a hen do it because I like being in control, and with a hen they are in control, and you have to adapt to their crazy ideas about how they want to do things, which often makes no sense, like your hen trying to get little chicks up a ramp. They will eventually understand that, but it will take a while. In the meantime you have to be the one to try to straighten it all out the best you can. :)

Didn't she bring a clutch into your shelter before, then leave again?
..and this time you want her to stay?
Yes.....and yes. She left before and went back to the older rooster my neighbor had. My neighbor never claimed her. But the rooster is gone now. And I have always wanted to give her a more stable home. I don't want to talk bad about anyone but even if she goes back to the neighbor (older widow who does the best she can), she won't have proper housing and I think they only get scraps. She's a good laying hen, good mother and is the mother to my own 5 and these chicks I intend to keep. It's okay if I keep her too, since no one claims her, isn't it?? She is a little nervous but she's not had a permanent home for a while now.

I'm just so stressed she wanted to move into the same little coop that my first 5 still sleep in. No one has attacked each other yet but it's been tense at times. I wanted to slowly integrate but she just did it herself lol

She just always says the hen doesn't belong to her. She says the "rooster went over the hill and brought her home" and "she isn't really mine" so I think she didn't want her in the first place. Honestly she does the best she can and I guess she didn't want another one and the rooster being gone makes me think someone may be helping her re-home them. The hen has been going between that end of the neighborhood and my house for almost 2 years. Maybe she would stay here if I try to take good care of her.

Back
Top Bottom