Concerned About My Hen

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
Hello all- I'm concerned about my red sex link hen. I believe that she's over 2 years old. She's been broody for a while, and is now going through a very hard molt, so there are almost no feathers left on her body. She hasn't been laying for several months, now, because she's been brooding. She is making this weird, gurgling sound when she breathes, and doesn't want to move around very much. Unfortunately I'm not home during the day, so am unable to give any more detail on her behavior- during the week, I get home after dark, so I only see my girls when I let them out in the morning and when they're already sleeping.
Should I put nutri drench in their water?? Should I bring her inside? She's almost entirely naked, and lost her feathers all at once. The temperatures have been in the 40s-60s and will continue to be like that in the coming week.

She's been broody for awhile. Has this been the same hen you've been talking about? Try locking her up somewhere dark. She should be giving up soon if she's broody while molting hopefully.

Is she shivering? Yes, I think that’s too cold for a neatly naked hen who isn’t feeling well. If she were mine, I’d bring her inside and provide warmth, fluids and feed. Do you know if she’s eating?
Her crop looks full (I can see it) at nights, so I assume that she’s eating. I don’t see her shivering, but I can bring her inside.

Back
Top Bottom