Concerned about new pullet

Sjbchickens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 6, 2014
San Juan Bautista , ca
I have had chickens for a few years. Never had any health problems. I purchased two new pullets to keep my lonely hen company (they aren't in the same coop yet) . I purchased them on Saturday, did not handle them that day to give them some space. Upon handling the EE I didn't notice anything but a pale comb but the buff had lice crawling on her & I. All I had was DE which I use in the coop. I dusted her , then on Tuesday used poultry protector on her & her friend. After their color came back a bit but the buff has foamy poop . Not all the time but a couple times a day. The women I bought her from didn't know if they had been vaccinated so they are in medicated feed (was planning on switching to grower feed soon) they are eating & drinking a lot but I'm worried the buff may not be well. Should I treat her with Corid or give her some time.....:/

Foamy poops can be a sign of worms. How old are your pullets? If you suspect Coccidiosis, you may want to go ahead and treat them. You can take a fecal specimen to your vet to have them check for worms.

8 week this week. Is it safe for them to be on medicated feed & Corid?
I think most will take them off medicated feed during Corid treatment just so they don't get too much of the amprollium in both. Foamy stools can be worms, cocci, and cecal poos. Are the new chickens exposed to your soil yet? If you treat them with Corid, I would make sure that they are exposed to your soil and your other chicken's poo, so they will get some immunity as well as be treated for it at the same time. Every farm may have different strains, so it would be a good idea to have treated them anyway with a preventative dose, but go ahead and use the full treatment dosage since they may be ill. Fenbendazole or Safeguard horse paste or liquid goat wormer is a great wormer to use also--dose is 1/2 ml po and repeat in 10 days..

Corid (amprollium) dosage is 1.5 tsp powder or 2 tsp of liquid Corid per gallon of water for 5 days. After treatment is finished, give probiotics and vitamins for 1 week. Corid 20% is found in the cattle meds section of feedstores.
GetThumbnail.aspx
GetThumbnail.aspx

Thank you! I never wormed my last flock as it never seemed to be an issue I usually went the "natural" rout with pumpkin and ACV but I've never dealt with foamy poop. The stinky cecal poop yes....I'll hit the feed store tomorrow :)

I think most will take them off medicated feed during Corid treatment just so they don't get too much of the amprollium in both.  Foamy stools can be worms, cocci, and cecal poos.  Are the new chickens exposed to your soil yet?  If you treat them with Corid, I would make sure that they are exposed to your soil and your other chicken's poo, so they will get some immunity as well as be treated for it at the same time.  Every farm may have different strains, so it would be a good idea to have treated them anyway with a preventative dose, but go ahead and use the full treatment dosage since they may be ill.  Fenbendazole or Safeguard horse paste or liquid goat wormer is a great wormer to use also--dose is 1/2 ml po and repeat in 10 days..

I went to our local feed store & tractor supply to get a few things: I purchased non-medicated food which they are now on, I started the Corid and mixed it with one gallon of water which is now stored, should I re mix it daily or can I work through the gallon? At both places I was told to use wazine and then follow up with the safeguard. Can I mix the wazine with the Corid or add a second waterer or wait till we are through the Corid treatment. The buff is pooping better, the EE is of course now pooping funny :/ but is still eating & drinking & active. She has also been sneezing a tiny bit but it's usually after she eats or drinks.....I did pick up some duramycin in case.....sorry for all the questions. I may be over analyzing a bit but I've never really had any problems in the past.

Did you mix the Corid like the directions in post #5? A fresh gallon should be mixed daily if you followed my instructions. Treat all your birds at the same time. I would take the Wazine back--feedstore employees are always telling people to buy Wazine. The fact is that it only gets round worm, and is not necessary to give at all. SafeGuard is safe and easy on the chickens, kills more worms, and is given once then repeated in 10 days. The dosage is so safe you can give 1/2 to 1 ml to your chicken.

Back
Top Bottom