Concerned for my chickens

Lady Lionheart

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 16, 2018
Pueblo Colorado
It's 9 degrees outside. Not the first time this winter. But I noticed 3 of my chickens laying down to eat. I am really hoping that this is just to keep their legs and feet warm. Am I right? I looked at their legs but don't really know what to look for if it's frostbite??
Thanks for any advice.

One of the first signs of frostbite is the appearance of pale, gray, or white tips on the comb or around the edges of wattles. Frostbitten feet and toes will appear unusually reddened. Subsequently, the frostbitten comb, wattles, or toes will swell, and within a day or so may begin to blister. Severe frostbite results in blackening of comb tips, edges of the wattles, or patches on feet. The affected chicken may lose interest in eating and other normal activities, indicating the bird is in pain.

One of the first signs of frostbite is the appearance of pale, gray, or white tips on the comb or around the edges of wattles. Frostbitten feet and toes will appear unusually reddened. Subsequently, the frostbitten comb, wattles, or toes will swell, and within a day or so may begin to blister. Severe frostbite results in blackening of comb tips, edges of the wattles, or patches on feet. The affected chicken may lose interest in eating and other normal activities, indicating the bird is in pain.
No signs of anything unusual on feet. Do you think that them laying down while eating is just a way to keep their feet warm? That's the new behavior that has me a little worried.

Are they laying down outside... or in the coop?
How high is your feeder?....trying to picture this.
Hopefully they are in the coop and/or protected from any wind.

Eating and drinking is good.
I look for mobility by tossing treats, if a bird is not moving well it may be cold stressed.

This is my experience with cold stressed birds:
@BantyChooks taught me about 'cold reset'. I bring bird into the slightly warmer garage for just a couple-few hours. Makes sure she eats, give her a dose of electrolytes, see what's coming out the other end, and just observe. Then take them back out to coop, has 'saved' a few here, it's pretty amazing how they bounce back.

Birds can get dehydrated in winter as well as summer, so I give the whole flock a dose of EL during really cold spells (<10°F), I just mix up a half gallon of Sav-A-Chick electrolytes/vitamins and put it out in a open waterer for a couple hours so they all get some of it. Of course plain thawed water should always be available, they won't eat if they can't drink.

This winter I soaked rolled oats in the SAC solution so no liquid to dip wattles in.
It worked great, had no seriously cold stressed birds. 1/8 tsp SAC powder to 1 cup of water mixed into about a cup or so of rolled oats.

If they do have frostbitten combs/wattles, hands off is best IMO.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/frostbite-in-sw-michigan.74597/
I have no experience with seriously FB feet tho...they may need attention.

One was laying outside and the other 2 was inside the coop. I had just thrown some cracked corn out for them. It was concerning because the one outside layed down right in the middle of my older pullets. I made them all go to bed early after I checked feet last night. This morning, all seems fine. I'm watching them closely. I also put a 100 watt bulb in coop and I'll probably leave that on today. Tomorrow is supposed to start warming up. The breeds doing this was both my Blue Andalusians and Welsummer. My Cuckoo Marans and glws seem to be handling this latest cold snap well. I wonder if those breeds are just not as cold tolerant.

Oh and the temp in the coop this morning was around 19 to 20 degrees. I have never seen it drop below that number. It is currently 4 degrees outside right now.

Back
Top Bottom