Concerned, is this normal, 9 month hen molting in the middle of winter?!?!?!?!

SistaChick

Songster
10 Years
Jun 17, 2012
Niota, TN
I have three 9 month old hens, they were laying really good but then I noticed that one of them stopped laying about 2 weeks ago, she is a solid white Easter Egger. The other two, both darker colored hens, slowed down some, I figure because of the cold weather. I started noticing white feathers everywhere when Snow stopped laying. I think she is molting in East TN in the middle of winter. I don't think this is normal. Am I doing something wrong or is there something I need to do to help her. I am trying to make sure she gets protein so she can hurry growing her new feathers. The top and back of her head are very thin with new pin feathers coming through but her body hasn't lost many yet. I am not a new chicken mama, I've had chickens start molting late fall and barely made it to cover for winter but I've never had one this young molt in the middle of winter. Sheesh!

My hen seems to be doing the exact same. Separated her because we weren't sure if she was being picked on by the other birds and plucked or not.

My three pullets are 9 months too, and they're going through a partial molt. I think they're done with the losing, but have a ways to go with the growing. They still look a little ragged. Maybe they'll lay eggs again by my birthday in February...

My EE just went through a hard molt and is just now growing the feathers back. I live on the Central Coast of California, so doesn’t get that cold here, but I brought her in at night just to be safe (and kept her separate so the new feathers wouldn’t get picked at. So now she needs to be introduced back into the flock and she’s a HUGE baby, so the next several days are going to be fun 🙄). Anyhoo, her sister (also an EE) just started molting and I’m still waiting for my RIR’s to start. I think each chicken has their own way of doing things 🤗.

Thanks everyone. It sure isn't the most convenient time but they are on their own schedule I suppose. Just knowing it's not unheard of and possible to molt at this inopportune time then I won't worry so much. Just hope the weather holds off being frigid til she gets her new warmth.

I am going through the same thing! 9 month pullets- one is molting her upper head and neck feathers. She is the full-on alpha so I know it’s not from the other birds. I worry because I am in Northern Colorado and it is cccold here at night!! All but one of the four slowed down and stopped laying a few weeks ago.

Back
Top Bottom