concerning behaviors

crazycateye

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2016
I have a 1yr old hen who doesn't seem to be herself. Im concerned she is coming down with something. I notices yesterday that she had been moving off by herself and staying away from the flock. today I notice her comb isn't upright anymore and she is still keeping off to herself. Not foraging or anything. She just lays there. Anybody with advice would be greatly appreciated.

Check her crop to see if it is full and hard, puffy, or empty. It should be empty first thing in the morning. Look her over for mites or lice especially under the vent, neck, under wings. Bring her inside where it is cool and offer her some water with SaveAChick electrolytes or some pedialyte or gatorade. Feel of her breast bone and muscle to to see if she has lost weight. Check inside her vent with one finger 1 1/2 inches for a stuck egg. Look at her droppings for anything unusual. Has she been wormed? How is the color in her comb? Dehydration and heat stress can be very serious this time of year.

The color in her comb is pale.. And I'm not going to lie I have no idea what the crop is (I will google) I will bring her inside and update more shortly. Thank you for your help!!!

Okay, her crop has a very small amount of something in it. She feels like skin and bones, poop is a mustard yellow color and consistency. I don't feel anything in her vent.

Will she drink or eat anything for you? Offer her electrolyte water and some chopped egg with yogurt and her regular feed. Bright yellow poop is abnormal, sometimes a sign of E.coli infection. That can be common with egg yolk peritonitis. A little food in her crop doesn't sound like a crop problem. Do you have a local regular vet who could see her?

I have brought her in and put the electorate water in front of her with cat food and her regular feed. I sometimes give the girls cat food as a treat and they will do just about anything for it so I have high hopes she will try it. Unfortunately I am in a situation right now were I can't afford a vet bill so I am going to have to do what I can on my own. I didn't see any signs of mites or worms. I did notice that when I was holding her and trying to feel around her belly to see if she felt hard and thin she was calm and relaxed until I touched her hind end. She then freaked out and yelled at me. I thought it was a sign saying it was tender

Back
Top Bottom