Concerns with New Layer

Which of those two feeds get eaten up faster?

The crumbles, definitely. It has concerned me since it was grower crumbles, and I had planned to switch to layer crumbles next. (This weekend.) Also, the pellets are new this past feed instead of layer crumbles in the double headed feeder, so they aren't used to them yet. The single tube was setup when I removed the small pullet feeders because the double headed feeder is up too high for the bantams to reach. The tube is just the right size for them. The others have to lean in slightly to eat out of the tube.

I just feed a 20% all flock with OS in a separate feeder.

Too new to fully understand that. Sorry. :) 20% calcium? OS = oyster shell?

How do you feed this to your chicken? And just the one?
It's tablets. I open her beak by pulling down on her wattles and gently put it on the back of her tongue, release wattles and make sure it went down the hatch. I usually follow up with a raisin or two to make sure it's down and to give her a treat so she doesn't hate me. Yes, I give her one tablet per day until her eggs are properly shelled again. It's usually a couple of days and things are normal again.
20201204_182551.jpg

20201204_182605.jpg

@aart The problem I have with the crushed egg shells and oyster shells is that the older leghorns who are at the top of the pecking order and quite aggressive get at them first. The girls who need it most as they are getting to laying age don't really get access to much of them.

It's usually a couple of days and things are normal again.

Thanks! That's helpful. Her second set were considerably harder, so I want to see what she lays next. I think it's just that her body hasn't fully matured and she's not producing them properly. I'm hoping that things get cleared up, but I want to keep an eye on her. I'll check on the calcium just in case. Like @aart I personally don't jump to drugs or supplements until needed, but I also don't want to be too late.

Tho I have tried Calcium Citrate with VitD-3 on a long term softie layer(it didn't help),
I'm pretty slow to start with supplements.
This is helpful to know. So happy to be on this thread. I learn something every day! I've only used it for my one hen that's always had shell issues. She lays really rough shelled eggs, soft shelled eggs, and everything in between. She tends to have a lot of meat spots in almost every egg too. The calcium citrate does work well for her. She actually had to get one tonight because she's been spending more time than usual in the nesting box (not broody) and her shell was very light in color (probably nothing to do with calcium, but this egg was just not normal) and thin.

Thanks! That's helpful. Her second set were considerably harder, so I want to see what she lays next. I think it's just that her body hasn't fully matured and she's not producing them properly. I'm hoping that things get cleared up, but I want to keep an eye on her. I'll check on the calcium just in case. Like @aart I personally don't jump to drugs or supplements until needed, but I also don't want to be too late.
It certainly won't hurt to have it just in case. I completely understand and respect that you don't want to jump to interventions too quickly. I also admire you for looking into something before it becomes a problem. You're girls are lucky to have you!

I just put more oyster shell out in a new feeder rather than just spreading some out a few times a week so that the younger girls can access them when the older girls tire and walk away.

Opal isn't doing the penguin walk, and she took to the oyster shells right away. She also paused a couple of times which I think was just her checking in on her own body. She also went over to the double header feed bucket for pellets, so she is eating fine. From all I've read today, it seems she isn't egg bound right now. I'm hoping her body is just adjusting and that she'll start a normal egg laying cycle soon.

Thanks again all!

Okay, good news. It appears she did lay a single egg today, so the worry was for naught so far. I haven't found a second egg around. She laid it inside her sleeping coop, so I think there is some bullying going on and she's afraid to use the nesting boxes. The shell was not soft, but there was still a small blood clot. It's a step in the right direction.

20210109_015821633_iOS.jpg
20210109_015907223_iOS.jpg

Back
Top Bottom