concrete block building for chicken coop?

Jesus Saves

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 11, 2014
north carolina
The house we just bought has a 10x10 block building with a dirt floor. Would this be ok to use as our chicken coop. I will be adding a run to it so they can be outside. Thanks.

welcome-byc.gif

Now that's taking predator proof to a whole new level!

The only issue I can see is airflow. It's going to get pretty darn warm in there during the summer, and moisture build up will be a concern in the winter. Venting under the eaves will help a lot, and punching in some more windows would be a great idea, also. It's a great building other wise, a nice big size for plenty of birds
big_smile.png

Do you know how deep the foundation is? I'd probably lay hardware cloth or chickenwire around the walls to discourage digging predators.

As donrae said you may want to add some ventilation, but overall, i'm thinking you're pretty lucky. ;)

It actually has ventilation under the eve of the roof on each side. I am not sure about foundation depth but I think I will lay something to keep predators from digging. It's a pretty nice building one side has a 6 foot high walk in door and the other side has some plywood panels I am gonna take off for access to the run. Thanks for all the feed back guys. We are super excited to get going with our chicks. We got 12 three week chicks so we are trying to get a coop ready.
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom