Concrete (Cinder Block) Coop - Can it be done?

There are still alot of those houses in my area! I remember them well. The size of these blocks are 8x8x16, so they're alot taller, I wouldn't have to cut windows because I can turn them on their sides. and for the door, I can buy a half- block to make that entrance work. I do have a masonry saw and bits; my dad likes to keep his tools at my house. It keeps his wife happy that he's not cluttering up their shed.

Good point, I'm going to do more number crunching and see if it's worth it!

Thanks,

A lot of homes in the 60's were built out of 4"x8"x16" cinder block walls installed with mortar. You need to cut the main door, chicken door and window installations. You need specialty tools and fasteners to do this and could possibly rent in your area. You can allow for vents at the top of the wooden roof frames. It can be done, add up all the prices of the hardware and see if it's cost effective.

That's awesome that they are 8x8. Yes - I like the idea of turning them on their sides to give you instant windows and vents on the upper layers. That sounds like about the price they are in my area too. I'll have to re-measure - perhaps they are 8x8 and I just never noticed.

To use a masonry bit, you really need a hammer drill, but it sounds like you already have access to the tools you need. There are a variety of concrete anchors and hardware available for different purposes - that's where google is your friend. Some types of anchors can be installed with just a hammer (drive anchors) after the hole is drilled. Others involve a wrench and a bolt on the end secures them (wedge anchors for example). It would be a good idea to do a little research and make sure you get the best type for your particular purpose.

2 1/2 feet is not very tall - perhaps if you used the ones you have and bought a few extra to do another layer or two? A low coop like that might be a pain to clean out as you'd have to be down on your hands and knees to do it. Also, if a hen decides she doesn't want to be caught and hides in the back corner, you have to crawl in after her - yuck
smile.png

The photo below shows how I used masonry blocks to make a base for the chicken tractor over winter by dry stacking the blocks and setting the coop on top. That way I could use deep straw litter and increase the insulation value. Some holes in the blocks were turned up, and just perfectly fit plastic storage containers for food and water supplies, and covers were snapped on for overnight. In one hole, I ran a trouble light up into it and put in a plastic dish for water above it, which kept the water from freezing. We have raccoons and opossums regularly in the backyard, but they've left this alone so far, probably partly because it is right next to the house.

LoriL-
That looks lovely and space efficient! Could you tell me where the laying area is? up top? Do they sleep up top too? I can see this in my back yard!

The ones you turn sideways for vent/windows wrap around the edges with hardware cloth and let the mortar or whatever you use hold it in place.

I bet you could build a small, wooden window frame which would be the exact dimensions of a block, attach screening to it, then put it in place of a block using the liquid nails to hold it in. place one of these every few feet and you'd be good!

Great Idea Albert! I'm turning all of these great suggestions to my Dad/Carpenter/Contractor.
I bet you could build a small, wooden window frame which would be the exact dimensions of a block, attach screening to it, then put it in place of a block using the liquid nails to hold it in. place one of these every few feet and you'd be good!

Back
Top Bottom