Concrete Floor in Run - best type of bedding?

khuff99

In the Brooder
May 13, 2020
Atlanta, Georgia
We are converting a 8'x20' dog kennel with a concrete floor on our property into a run for our chickens. I've been researching deep litter method and sand as options and both seem to have pros and cons. I obviously need to put something in there fairly deep for them to cover the concrete. Do any of you have a run with a concrete floor? Of so, what type of bedding do you use and what type of maintenance does it require? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I am new to this scenario as well. After much research, I went with pellets used in horse stalls/kitty litter. It broke down quickly into teeny particles during the rainy spring, but so far so good! I have a 10’x6’ concrete run and I layered it about 3-4’’. I rake the top layer and get rid of as much bigger poos and feathers as possible every weekend. I’m guessing I’ll do a big deep clean every 6-8 months judging by how things are currently functioning. Side note, I chose this option for the composting side of things... I couldn’t figure out how to manage sand if I needed to deep clean. Chickens seem clean and happy, and the coop/run area smells better than ever before even with 5 hens added to the flock!

I am new to this scenario as well. After much research, I went with pellets used in horse stalls/kitty litter. It broke down quickly into teeny particles during the rainy spring, but so far so good! I have a 10’x6’ concrete run and I layered it about 3-4’’. I rake the top layer and get rid of as much bigger poos and feathers as possible every weekend. I’m guessing I’ll do a big deep clean every 6-8 months judging by how things are currently functioning. Side note, I chose this option for the composting side of things... I couldn’t figure out how to manage sand if I needed to deep clean. Chickens seem clean and happy, and the coop/run area smells better than ever before even with 5 hens added to the flock!

Thank you! I hadn't thought about pellets! Have you had any issues with mold with it?

Thank you! I hadn't thought about pellets! Have you had any issues with mold with it?
Well so far, because my run is covered, only the sides seemed to hold any kind of moisture. I made sure to go in and expose any super wet spots so they could dry easily. I suppose we’ll see what the winter brings, but so far its all good.

I've been leaning toward sand. Seems so easy! Have read a few people mention their sand stinks another suggested it wasn't good for the chicken's health? So I'm really conflicted!
I would imagine as long as you kept it dry it would be fine. And a certain type of sand should be used also, so maybe that's why they think it's bad?

I've been leaning toward sand. Seems so easy! Have read a few people mention their sand stinks another suggested it wasn't good for the chicken's health? So I'm really conflicted!
From what I've read as long as it's dust free it's safe and of course, if you don't scoop it it will stink. If you don't have a way to remove the poop, I wouldn't use sand because IMO it'd be a pain to remove it since it doesn't break down and you can't exactly wash it. I don't yet have an outdoor run, but we were talking about using concrete and if we go that route I'd use sand.

First things to know is.....
Does the slab shed rain and run off water...or leave puddles standing?

Sand that is saturated with pulverized poops will reek if it gets the least bit damp,
it's a lot of work to keep poops scooped out and you can never get it all.

Is this method still working for you? Do you have something set up for dust baths?

Back
Top Bottom