Concrete Sand In Run?

Maybe if the sand was on a level floor, didn't get wet, and was sifted everyday, it would be an ok medium. I really can't say, lol.
Exactly....if it's sifted with a very fine mesh.

Aart doesn't like it, but some people use it and like it.
I don't...I think most folks who 'like' it have only used it for a few weeks rather than for a year or more.

Lol I knew what you meant ! I don’t think I would use that in run if it gets wet won’t it harden into cement? I use construction sand fortunately my husband works in a asphalt plant and gets it for me ! If you have a quarry near but you can buy it like you buy mulch by the yard !
I can't seem to find construction sand near me except by the bag. That would by way to expensive for an 6 x 18 ft. run.

I do not like when I scoop to clean sand either it’s a cloud of dust not healthy to breath, was thinking of switching to “hemp” in spring? Heard great things about it ! Very minimal dust and very absorbent and lasts a long time ! Has anyone tried this ?

Hemp!? I am intrigued! It sounds expensive though. I buy hemp seed granola at Costco, and it costs an arm and a leg. I would love to learn more about buying hemp substrate for the coop, if it isn't too pricey.

We finished our new run/coop combo a few months back and we put down a layer about 2 inches thick with large/small gravel combo, 2 inches sand on top of that then a couple bags of pine shavings from TS in each run on top of that. Now putting leaves and twigs on top ( chooks are mixing that in with the shavings) and we just scrape their poop into it and it is covered and even with the rain it is working great!! We will just keep adding leaves n twigs and when no more fallen leaves will just add more shavings when needed. Chooks love it. The gravel and sand was to build up the ground because we have gotten tons of rain this year in OK and we will never again use hay or grass clippings. That turned into a huge soggy mess and made us have to start all over. Building up the ground with the sand n gravel is helping a lot.

Well I guess it depends how big your coop is ? But I looked it up and is $39 for 44 lbs which says good for 4x6 coop enough for deep litter method ! I have two 8x10 coops so might be a little pricey but says it lasts a long time so if I only changed it out once a year or even twice a year I would definitely consider it ! I wanted to know exactly how deep litter method works ? I’ve never done it always used sand but looking for a better way ! Less dust !

Was this the link that you looked up? https://carolinacoops.com/product/hemp-bedding/#.Xdr-g797nx4
If so, I found out that they want $61 for shipping (to Utah), which actually brings the price for me up to $100 for a 44 lb bale. Ouch!

Amazon had a 33 lb bale for $56.95, and free shipping, but that's still pricey. I think this is a substrate that may work for some people who can go pick it up, but for those of us who need it shipped, it's cost-prohibitive.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S37CV85/?tag=backy-20

Which is why I ended up with sand in the first place...I live in the desert and it's plentiful here, from quarries that offer coarse sand with very few "fines" / dust, relative for sand.

Yes, you can put any sand in on the floor as poop litter, that would work well.

Good to hear about the eaves. The blocks are filled I saw that, but you can't glue them together into a single piece, they are still single bricks and so they have a space between each brick is what I mean by a crack, I use the wrong words. 'Between the bricks" is more appropriate...[/QUOT

Thank you.

I use Paver underlayment purchased from Lowes and it works perfect. I bought some from Home Depot but it seems to have larger pebbles in it, the Lowes is perfect. The reason is I took a plastic bin, cut the bottom off it and put a piece of 1/4 inch hardware cloth in it, I rake and sift the poop and other stuff out easily and quickly... In Florida with much rain, it works great

Hemp!? I am intrigued! It sounds expensive though. I buy hemp seed granola at Costco, and it costs an arm and a leg. I would love to learn more about buying hemp substrate for the coop, if it isn't too pricey.
Well I guess it depends how big your coop is ? But I looked it up and is $39 for 44 lbs which says good for 4x6 coop enough for deep litter method ! I have two 8x10 coops so might be a little pricey but says it lasts a long time so if I only changed it out once a year or even twice a year I would definitely consider it ! I wanted to know exactly how deep litter method works ? I’ve never done it always used sand but looking for a better way ! Less dust !

Back
Top Bottom