Concurrent antibiotics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hugor, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Hugor

Hugor New Egg

Dec 1, 2014
    I am currently treating, by injection, a 13 wk Buff Orp with Pen-G for an infected injury. Recently, she and her 4 'sisters' (2 cochins, a silkie, and a Brahma) are showing increasing signs of respiratory issues like sneezing, head shaking, etc.. I plan to treat the rest orally with Tylan. Can/should the Buff also take Tylan while on Pen-G?

Thanks, folks, for your consideration and help. And I'll echo what others have said previously: the BYC community is an invaluable and comforting resource!

-h

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Since penicillin is not right for respiratory disease, and since Tylan is not that great against wound infections, I would probably use both if i felt it necessary to give antibiotics for the respiratory symptoms. If a vet is available, you may be able to get Baytril, which would treat both well. Since respiratory diseases such as infectious bronchitis, MG, coryza, ILT, and aspergillosis can be viral, bacterial, or fungal, antibiotics won't always have an effect on the symptoms, but may help to prevent secondary bacterial infections. Here is a good link about respiratory diseases to read and compare symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    You might also consider that fungal infections occur in poultry during the wet season if humidity is high and ventilation is inadequate. I've used Oxine a number of times as described in this article, and it is very effective: http://poultryone.com/articles/respiratory-html I hope conditions improve quickly for you and your birds.

4. Hugor

Hugor New Egg

Dec 1, 2014
    Thanks Egg/Michael. Your response was just what I was looking for.
    Happy chickens!
    -H

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by