Cone Head??

96chevy

In the Brooder
May 29, 2016
Pennsylvania
We hatched some chickens a few weeks ago. The second one to hatch literally looks like a cone head... I have no idea why s/he looks this way but it's doing totally fine. The other birds don't pick in it and it has no other visible problems. In fact it's usually the first one to eat and is almost more active than the rest. But, why on earth does it look like this though??

welcome-byc.gif
Are you certain that it is not a chick from a crested breed? Some breeds can have vaulted skulls.

33115_1868_variation_f8781_fig36.jpg

Here is a diagram of what a vaulted skull looks like compared to a normal skull. It is something that all polish and silkie chickens have that allow them to grow those funky feathers on their heads.
d0fc5e6e_VaultedskullblackSilkie.jpeg

Here is a silkie chick with a vaulted skull.

Post some pictures so we can help more!

Hope I helped!
-G

S/He's supposed to be an Ameuricana. But it could be mixed with something I guess, but I'm not sure the lady I got him from had silkies. She did have some weird bread with no feathers on its neck but it's head was fluffy like a silkie. :)

Update on conehead: he's doing well and becoming quite pretty! His new name is darth Vader as we named all our newest chickens something from the series, including white silkies which are known as storm troopers. Here's a few pics of him!

You got a part-naked neck! They are SO cool! Those are what you saw at the place. They are anouther vaulted skull bred that grow feather out of their head all funky. So this all makes sence now!
yippiechickie.gif

Will he loose feathers on his neck?!? Those things are so ugly lol The lady did say she couldn't guarantee they weren't mixed except for the barred rocks she had which were separated. He's cool :)

Back
Top Bottom