Confirmation of 7 month old Silkie Gender

I wanted to update on Miss Fancy Nancy.....
She started laying Feb 7th, yay! :ya

Only to start acting broody Feb 25th :hit She's still adding to her clutch *in her mind as I remove her egg daily. I haven't put a lot of thought into trying to break her yet as I'm hoping she won't commit to sitting at her age, but who am I kidding? She is a Silkie, so of course she'll go the distance.

On a funny note, her little broody pullet growl makes her sound like a baby Gremlin!

I wanted to update on Miss Fancy Nancy.....
She started laying Feb 7th, yay! :ya

Only to start acting broody Feb 25th :hit She's still adding to her clutch *in her mind as I remove her egg daily. I haven't put a lot of thought into trying to break her yet as I'm hoping she won't commit to sitting at her age, but who am I kidding? She is a Silkie, so of course she'll go the distance.

On a funny note, her little broody pullet growl makes her sound like a baby Gremlin!
Congratulations! 🥳

I would go ahead and break her now. The longer you wait, the more time it takes.

Congrats she started laying 🥚:woot
What a cutie :love
...yeah and the broodiness - full silky package 😅
Yes, congratulations on the eggs!
I have 3 silkie girls doing that right now! They all pile into the same nest box and sit on nothing all day. They will actually roll the other chickens' eggs into the nest box to sit on them. I tried breaking them, they were not having it, even the broody cage did not work, so I gave up. I figure they will get over it eventually. They are so adorable, what can you do?🥰

Yes, congratulations on the eggs!
I have 3 silkie girls doing that right now! They all pile into the same nest box and sit on nothing all day. They will actually roll the other chickens' eggs into the nest box to sit on them. I tried breaking them, they were not having it, even the broody cage did not work, so I gave up. I figure they will get over it eventually. They are so adorable, what can you do?🥰
This is my life with my other Silkie Hen, Bella. She's in a constant cycle of being broody. I do make sure she's not loosing weight and make her get off the "nest" more than she'd like and lock her out so she'll move around. She hates it but all is well in her world once allowed back in to get back on that "nest".

Fancy Nancy has actually spent very little time on the "nest" today. I know that being broody is her nature but I'm wondering if some of it is/was her mimicking her cochin/naked neck flockmate that just came out of being broody. The two of them are inseparable. Even before Fancy Nancy started laying, she'd just sit in the nesting box with Victoria whenever she was broody, just to be with her. I honestly thought she was just ticking to mimic what Victoria was doing. I guess only time will tell, but I'm prepared to attempt at breaking her broody behavior if it continues. There's no ticking this evening either. She does still do the loud trill whenever she fluffs and flaps like a broody but that's all I'm seeing tonight.

Now Bella, my white Silkie Hen is ticking :barnie

Back
Top Bottom