Conflicting info: At what age do geese lay eggs?

My African female was 3 mos old when she started laying...very broody. None of her 15 eggs were fertile. Question is if my gander is fertile!

Must have been a Chinese!!!!
And that doesn't mean your male is infertile, that's very young for a goose, she may not have actually been able to accept the male correctly. Maybe they were not actually mating.

Glad to see I'm not the only one with geese and egg question :)
I have a couple of 10-11mths old geese that are sexually active for a month now but have not shown any sign of laying. I also have 4 >5yrs old rescued geese that I havent seen being sexually active and none of them laying. my 3yrs old goose has started laying 3 weeks ago.

Question is; will the 2 near year old lay this year? and will the >5yrs lay at all?

All your geese should lay any week now. They prefer laying when the weather is warmer so I don't know if you have cold weather? They still lay in cold weather though during warm days they usually start.
But they should lay

All your geese should lay any week now. They prefer laying when the weather is warmer so I don't know if you have cold weather? They still lay in cold weather though during warm days they usually start.
But they should lay

keeping all fingers crossed! :)

My African Geese saga----
I've finally figured out what's been going on here. McMurray Hatchery didn't send me a matched pair to begin with!
I've had 2 females all along. One was killed last year.
I hatched another...I thought was another female. Turns out I now have a MALE!
SO...The other female has now mated with him and has been producing eggs since April. I hatched 3 so far and they're beautiful!
12 more in incubator.
I also have been certified by the state of Tennessee. It's all turned out great!

My five month old White Chinese x African cross has laid two small eggs in the last three days, and her sister is acting broody. Their mother started laying at nine months.

My African female was 3 mos old when she started laying...very broody. None of her 15 eggs were fertile. Question is if my gander is fertile!

My African started laying at eight months old, and layed 33, yes 33, eggs this last year. Her mate is a Buff and the same age. I incubated 11 eggs from her and every one was fertile! She hatched two that I left for her. They're all beautiful babies, and are very unique. Apparently, I was very lucky to have so many fertile! Can't wait for next year!

I have a pair of White Chinese geese. The female started laying a little over a week ago. I have getting one egg every other day. This shocked me! She is only 5 months old. At first I thought she was sitting on a duck egg. But every other day she goes to the nest and sits. And there is another egg. Is this normal?
Same here... my 5 month old Toulouse started a month ago making nests in the yard. Today she laid an egg in one of them. Shocked me.... larger than my duck eggs...

Back
Top Bottom