confused, 3 month ee chick sexing help

donaltman3

Chirping
Mar 29, 2017
Valdosta, GA
IMG_5211.JPG IMG_5223.JPG IMG_5225.JPG IMG_5221.JPG IMG_5215.JPG IMG_5210.JPG I have some chicks thst I am confused about. I originally started with 5 red ee's from green eggs. At first It was obvious three were male. Thier combs were super red and huge compaired to these two. These two Ithought were female but now I am wuestioning becuase of tail feathers. Combs never got big like the others. Can anyone help? I might include a picture of a few non reds I am looking for confirmation on.

Attachments

• IMG_5209.JPG
    IMG_5209.JPG
    815.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5212.JPG
    IMG_5212.JPG
    768.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5217.JPG
    IMG_5217.JPG
    546.5 KB · Views: 16
The upper chick in your first photo, red in 2nd, and the chick(s) featured in the 5th and 6th are male. You can tell by saddle feathers emerging and the dark blotches on the wings.

View attachment 1058762 View attachment 1058767 View attachment 1058768 View attachment 1058766 View attachment 1058764 View attachment 1058761 I have some chicks thst I am confused about. I originally started with 5 red ee's from green eggs. At first It was obvious three were male. Thier combs were super red and huge compaired to these two. These two Ithought were female but now I am wuestioning becuase of tail feathers. Combs never got big like the others. Can anyone help? I might include a picture of a few non reds I am looking for confirmation on.
Look at their feathering on their backs. Your red cockerels all have very visible male saddle feathers coming in. I'm seeing one definite pullet among the reds. The white one's comb is screaming cockerel, but it's difficult to get a good photo that shows the saddle feathers on white birds. The solid blue is definitely a pullet. The blue with gold leakage is definitely a male.

Look at their feathering on their backs. Your red cockerels all have very visible male saddle feathers coming in. I'm seeing one definite pullet among the reds. The white one's comb is screaming cockerel, but it's difficult to get a good photo that shows the saddle feathers on white birds. The solid blue is definitely a pullet. The blue with gold leakage is definitely a male.
I only have two red chickens. Do you think the one with less color is female and the other one with the darker colors and even some iridescent showing up is male? Both of the reds have considerably smaller and lighter color combs than the other reds I originally had, leading me to believe these two might both be female... however neither of their tail feathers are rounded. These chickens were hatched from dark green eggs.

Last edited:
I think I will make some better photos of each one individually to make this easier.
I was shooting for 4 female.. I had 10 to start with and have already given away 4 without a doubt males.. It is sounding like I may only have 2 females out of the 10 I started with... the blue one and a sexed cream legbar pullet that didn't make the photos.

I only have two red chickens. Do you think the one with less color is female and the other one with the darker colors and even some iridescent showing up is male? Both of the reds have considerably smaller and lighter color combs than the other reds I originally had, leading me to believe these two might both be female... however neither of their tail feathers are rounded. These chickens were hatched from dark green eggs.
Ignore the combs. Look at the feathers on the back. What are the feathers telling you? One red has male specific feathering. The other does not.

Ignore the combs. Look at the feathers on the back. What are the feathers telling you? One red has male specific feathering. The other does not.
Perfect. the tail feathers also threw me off but if hackle feathers are a better or easier indicator of sex, then I think I do have one of each. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom