Confused about heating sources for brooder

appleacres

Chirping
Feb 9, 2021
Hello!

I am completely new at this--planning on ordering 15 chicks, and I am preparing the brooder. I have a few items that were given to me, but I am getting a bit confused with all the different types of heat sources and whether what I have is actually appropriate for the brooder or whether I need to go get something else.
I should I also mention that I have already read several threads about heat plates and heating pads etc. before asking these questions, so I am asking things that I could not find the answers to already in the recent threads.

Here is what I currently have:

--I have a 1.5 x 3' plastic tub for the initial brooder when they are very young in the first few weeks along with some textured shelf liner/paper towels
--I have a 250 watt red bulb (in the box) and metal work light clamp
--I also have a Thermo-Chicken heating pad from K&H. This is different apparently than the Thermo-Peep and also than the Thermo-Brooder Heat Plate that they sell...the website for K&H recommends using a Thermo Heat Plate to heat them from above for the first week or two, then the Thermo-peep heat mat, it doesn't mention the Thermo-Chicken pad at all, even though if you go to that item on their website it says that item 'helps chicks stay warm following birth'. But it seems as though maybe that chicken pad is actually for warming adult chickens when the temperatures get low? link here: https://khpet.com/products/thermo-chicken-heated-pad?_pos=1&_sid=887c2cda0&_ss=r

So my questions are:
--does this Thermo-chicken mat have a place in the brooder? If not, I like the idea of simulating the broody hen with a heat plate, but I already have a lamp--but I have read that this can often be too much heat, and it seems unnatural to have red light on them 24/7. Do people find that they are getting enough heat with the heat plate and how do you measure and adjust this when there are no attached temperature controls to any of these pads, plates, or lamps? (If you are supposed to do 95, then 90, then 85 degrees etc) I mean I can always use a surface temp thermometer (like for my compost), but what if I am not there for a few hours or overnight? Does anyone heat the bottom of the brooder with a heating pad and then give them the option of the heat plate in addition to this, and then expose them to natural light (rather than a lamp) during the day?
--I have looked at the Mama Heating Pad thread--but this seems a bit ambitious for me to attempt initially, and I am still a bit confused about how the chicks would stay warm if they are outside of the cave--it will be 65 degrees ambient temp in the area we are raising them.

Thanks, sorry for the beginner questions!

Heat lamps have always worked for me. They are very cheap and efficient. Also if you have a store nearby that sells chicks that's always better than ordering them. You have better chances of them all making it. Good Luck! And you should totally get some Barred Rock chickens. They are SOOO friendly. Sapphire Gem chickens are very cuddly too... and their partially Barred Rock....:lau:thumbsup

A 250-watt red lamp is going to produce a lot of heat.
Maybe too much heat for a little plastic container.

A regular 75 watt light bulb in a little clippy lamp produces enough heat for a little plastic container.

Also please note that 15 chicks will outgrow the container in 1 week.

If you will have chicks regularly, spend the money on something along the line of the Brinsea EcoGlow. Chicks love it and you do not have to worry about over heating or any other issue from using a heat lamp.
If you do not plan to have chicks regularly then use the heat lamp. I have used both. I prefer the EcoGlow type brooder. They are spendy, but I love it so much I have multiple (not all Brinsea).

Heat lamps have always worked for me. They are very cheap and efficient. Also if you have a store nearby that sells chicks that's always better than ordering them. You have better chances of them all making it. Good Luck! And you should totally get some Barred Rock chickens. They are SOOO friendly. Sapphire Gem chickens are very cuddly too... and their partially Barred Rock....:lau:thumbsup
My Sapphire Gem is the sweetest and easiest going of my chicks!

OP, I too am new to chick raising and have found a heat lamp to be the cheapest option...BUT the next round of chicks I raise, I will get a brooder heating plate, or construct a way for it to hang above. Trying to find the right temp for the brooder was a real pain when we first brought the chicks home and set it up. I messed with that darn thing for a week trying to get the perfect temp, I had to clamp it onto a 5 gallon bucket outside of the brooder. It feels safer now that we've had it going for a while, but I'm still not entirely comfortable with it.

If you will have chicks regularly, spend the money on something along the line of the Brinsea EcoGlow. Chicks love it and you do not have to worry about over heating or any other issue from using a heat lamp.
If you do not plan to have chicks regularly then use the heat lamp. I have used both. I prefer the EcoGlow type brooder. They are spendy, but I love it so much I have multiple (not all Brinsea).
That's what I'm going with next!

have looked at the Mama Heating Pad thread--but this seems a bit ambitious for me to attempt initially, and I am still a bit confused about how the chicks would stay warm if they are outside of the cave--it will be 65 degrees ambient temp in the area we are raising them
All my chicks are broody-hen raised. The chicks often scurry in and out from underneath mama hen, going back under her feathers if they need to warm up. The chicks always sleep underneath her at night to stay warm. The mama heating pad simulates an actual mama hen. The chicks dont need to be at a constant temperature all the time. Both a real mama hen and the mama heating pad allow chicks to quickly warm up if they feel too cold.

--I have looked at the Mama Heating Pad thread--but this seems a bit ambitious for me to attempt initially, and I am still a bit confused about how the chicks would stay warm if they are outside of the cave--it will be 65 degrees ambient temp in the area we are raising them.

Can't answer on the Thermo mat as I've never tried it.

Your brooder is tiny for 15 - what's the next step in your plan? For reference I keep 3-4 chicks in an approx 2.25 x 4' brooder. You may want to jump to the next size up brooder instead.

As far as a heating pad set up (which is just a homemade alternative to a heat plate), the intention is that the chicks DON'T stay warm when they're not under the pad. They decide for themselves when they need to be warmed up (generally they'll go and nap under there) and when they don't. Even 2-3 day old chicks will opt to spend a good amount of time away from the heat source, without issue. This helps harden them to outside temperatures more quickly.

Back
Top Bottom