Confused about heating sources for brooder

Hello!

I am completely new at this--planning on ordering 15 chicks, and I am preparing the brooder. I have a few items that were given to me, but I am getting a bit confused with all the different types of heat sources and whether what I have is actually appropriate for the brooder or whether I need to go get something else.
I should I also mention that I have already read several threads about heat plates and heating pads etc. before asking these questions, so I am asking things that I could not find the answers to already in the recent threads.

Here is what I currently have:

--I have a 1.5 x 3' plastic tub for the initial brooder when they are very young in the first few weeks along with some textured shelf liner/paper towels
--I have a 250 watt red bulb (in the box) and metal work light clamp
--I also have a Thermo-Chicken heating pad from K&H. This is different apparently than the Thermo-Peep and also than the Thermo-Brooder Heat Plate that they sell...the website for K&H recommends using a Thermo Heat Plate to heat them from above for the first week or two, then the Thermo-peep heat mat, it doesn't mention the Thermo-Chicken pad at all, even though if you go to that item on their website it says that item 'helps chicks stay warm following birth'. But it seems as though maybe that chicken pad is actually for warming adult chickens when the temperatures get low? link here: https://khpet.com/products/thermo-chicken-heated-pad?_pos=1&_sid=887c2cda0&_ss=r

So my questions are:
--does this Thermo-chicken mat have a place in the brooder? If not, I like the idea of simulating the broody hen with a heat plate, but I already have a lamp--but I have read that this can often be too much heat, and it seems unnatural to have red light on them 24/7. Do people find that they are getting enough heat with the heat plate and how do you measure and adjust this when there are no attached temperature controls to any of these pads, plates, or lamps? (If you are supposed to do 95, then 90, then 85 degrees etc) I mean I can always use a surface temp thermometer (like for my compost), but what if I am not there for a few hours or overnight? Does anyone heat the bottom of the brooder with a heating pad and then give them the option of the heat plate in addition to this, and then expose them to natural light (rather than a lamp) during the day?
--I have looked at the Mama Heating Pad thread--but this seems a bit ambitious for me to attempt initially, and I am still a bit confused about how the chicks would stay warm if they are outside of the cave--it will be 65 degrees ambient temp in the area we are raising them.

Thanks, sorry for the beginner questions!
I think you're overthinking this. :p That's a good thing, though; It means you care! I would just use the heat lamp! I use a clamp lamp(which is now used for leo's deep heat projector)! When you get the chicks just observe them. If the chicks all huddle directly beneath the lamp, move it closer so they get more heat. If they are trying to avoid it, move it farther away.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I did get a bit confused in terms of the size of the brooder I guess--I read a book that suggested the size I have, but looking again, it did not specify the amount of chicks, so maybe 15 is alot. Maybe I can split them into two groups of 7, or cut a side out of the totes and combine them into one?

A note, however, I plugged in the 250 red bulb about 2' above the plastic tote, and even after a full day of sitting there, the temperature on the surface floor of the plastic tote is only 80 (temperature in room is 68). I read things about people saying to not use plastic with the high watt bulb and that a regular bulb is fine, but my experience so far is that the 250 watt bulb is VERY hot about 6" away, and then gets less and less hot--about a change of 20 degrees over 2' from the surface of the bulb to the bottom of the brooder. Am I doing something wrong?

I will probably end up getting the Ecoglow--but even that is a bit confusing. Everyone is saying that the box I have is too small, but the ecoglow 600 which is for 'up to 20 chicks' is only 12"x8"? I understand that the chicks huddle, and then need lots of room to run around, but if they aren't going to fit comfortably in the box after a week, how will they use a brooder plate that is less than 1 square foot wide after 1 week?

Are you brooding inside the house or temp controlled building? Heat lamp can put out heat and is cheap, but downside is potential fire hazard and I think I read more energy consuming. I personally prefer a heat plate brooder. It is more expensive, but safer and consumes less energy. It will not be effective outside (unless it’s summer). Generally the companies seem to over estimate the number that can fit under there. Yes they huddle, but it’s nice to have a little space, and you can tilt the plate to have a gradient option for the chicks. Bro sea is a great brand, but also pricey. I was pleased with my rent-a-coop heat plate last year. Also gives them another “level” because they WILL jump on top of it too! As far as the momma heating pad/cave, that’s more for brooding outside in colder temps, I think. This year I will be trying it out, and you’ve probably read the success stories on BYC!

My room is 68 degrees (in my house). I was planning to brood them in a space that is 12sf for two weeks indoors, and then move them to a larger area within the coop itself outdoors (temps 40-50 degrees outside) for the next 4-6 weeks after that to get them used to the coop, so I think I will need multiple heat source options for both scenarios. But I can't imagine 15 chicks using a 12" heating plate for more than a week.

I am also having a confusing issue with the heat lamp anyway--see above--its been on for a whole day about 2' above a plastic tote and hasn't even reached 85 degrees surface temp. Doesn't really feel hot at all except within 1' of the lamp, but putting it 1' away is way too close to the chicks and the brooder. Does anyone know what would cause this?
I've been told it would be so hot it would melt the plastic and it wouldn't work, I could just use a regular bulb, but that's not happening at all, it's as though the 250W bulb isn't directing it's heat into the brooder but just dissipating into the air.

I will probably end up getting the Ecoglow--but even that is a bit confusing. Everyone is saying that the box I have is too small, but the ecoglow 600 which is for 'up to 20 chicks' is only 12"x8"? I understand that the chicks huddle, and then need lots of room to run around, but if they aren't going to fit comfortably in the box after a week, how will they use a brooder plate that is less than 1 square foot wide after 1 week?
Honestly I don't think heat plates are very accurate with their numbers. A large heat pad (like 12"x24") would be good for maybe 16 chicks until weaned, so I too would question how 20 would fit under a 12"x8". 20 bantams, maybe.

Hello!

I am completely new at this--planning on ordering 15 chicks, and I am preparing the brooder. I have a few items that were given to me, but I am getting a bit confused with all the different types of heat sources and whether what I have is actually appropriate for the brooder or whether I need to go get something else.
I should I also mention that I have already read several threads about heat plates and heating pads etc. before asking these questions, so I am asking things that I could not find the answers to already in the recent threads.

Here is what I currently have:

--I have a 1.5 x 3' plastic tub for the initial brooder when they are very young in the first few weeks along with some textured shelf liner/paper towels
--I have a 250 watt red bulb (in the box) and metal work light clamp
--I also have a Thermo-Chicken heating pad from K&H. This is different apparently than the Thermo-Peep and also than the Thermo-Brooder Heat Plate that they sell...the website for K&H recommends using a Thermo Heat Plate to heat them from above for the first week or two, then the Thermo-peep heat mat, it doesn't mention the Thermo-Chicken pad at all, even though if you go to that item on their website it says that item 'helps chicks stay warm following birth'. But it seems as though maybe that chicken pad is actually for warming adult chickens when the temperatures get low? link here: https://khpet.com/products/thermo-chicken-heated-pad?_pos=1&_sid=887c2cda0&_ss=r

So my questions are:
--does this Thermo-chicken mat have a place in the brooder? If not, I like the idea of simulating the broody hen with a heat plate, but I already have a lamp--but I have read that this can often be too much heat, and it seems unnatural to have red light on them 24/7. Do people find that they are getting enough heat with the heat plate and how do you measure and adjust this when there are no attached temperature controls to any of these pads, plates, or lamps? (If you are supposed to do 95, then 90, then 85 degrees etc) I mean I can always use a surface temp thermometer (like for my compost), but what if I am not there for a few hours or overnight? Does anyone heat the bottom of the brooder with a heating pad and then give them the option of the heat plate in addition to this, and then expose them to natural light (rather than a lamp) during the day?
--I have looked at the Mama Heating Pad thread--but this seems a bit ambitious for me to attempt initially, and I am still a bit confused about how the chicks would stay warm if they are outside of the cave--it will be 65 degrees ambient temp in the area we are raising them.

Thanks, sorry for the beginner questions!
Don’t waste your money on the thermo chicken mat, I bought one a few years ago because I thought it would be easier to clean than heating pad but it’s junk was appropriate heat source for chicks.
I use a heating pad brooder plate I made. Works great for me, in year 4 of using it and have never worried about checking temperature because the chicks were quite and content.

I went crazy when we got our chicks and bought a couple of different heat options. I was worried we wouldn't keep them warm enough with the eco brooder plate. I've heard great things but I personally found it easier to gauge temperature with the heating lamp. I work from home and they're never alone to worry about fire risk. I have it ultra-secured to a tripod with zip ties and a clamp. The bin is big enough they have different spots they can go to get out of the heat, and measure the temperature so at least one spot is around the recommended temp for their age. I keep an eye on their behavior. If they spread out away from the heat, it's too hot, if they huddle together under/make a lot of noise it's too cold. With the tripod I just extend the legs as they age.

If you already have the coop and run setup, you might consider brooding outdoors. Did you mention where you are located?

We have brooded twice. The first with a heat lamp, second with a MHP. It sounds like you are going to use a heat plate. I think that is like the MHP. Anyway, I think you will find the heat plate frees you from focusing on temperatures.
Here is a link to our article on outdoor brooding. Brooder in covered run - Updated 7/11 Six weeks

I use both 250W heat lamp and a brooder plate. We use our XL hard side dog kennel bottom and clip the lamp on one side so the bottom is 95, then put the plate in the middle back edge (tilted so they can choose to be closer to the plate or have it a little above them) and the other end of the kennel is room temp. They are in the house so its usually around 68-70 ambient. During the day they mostly stay under the plate or under the light, not much on the ambient side. I plan to keep the lamp for only 1 week, then they get a normal day/night light schedule once they have a few feathers. Found them all sleeping in a pile under the lamp in the middle of the night, so they like the higher heat, at least right now (3 days old, shipped overnight). I agree, its not great for them to have 24/7 light, but I've raised chicks for years that way and I don't think it really hurts. Last year I got the plate and I think it felt more natural for everyone. So, for us, its a combo!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I did get a bit confused in terms of the size of the brooder I guess--I read a book that suggested the size I have, but looking again, it did not specify the amount of chicks, so maybe 15 is alot. Maybe I can split them into two groups of 7, or cut a side out of the totes and combine them into one?

A note, however, I plugged in the 250 red bulb about 2' above the plastic tote, and even after a full day of sitting there, the temperature on the surface floor of the plastic tote is only 80 (temperature in room is 68). I read things about people saying to not use plastic with the high watt bulb and that a regular bulb is fine, but my experience so far is that the 250 watt bulb is VERY hot about 6" away, and then gets less and less hot--about a change of 20 degrees over 2' from the surface of the bulb to the bottom of the brooder. Am I doing something wrong?

I think not all red bulbs are heat bulbs. I see some that say they don't need ceramic sockets and give off "gentle" heat. What does the box say?

Back
Top Bottom