Confused about what to feed

I will add that if you plan on feeding S&P (or any similar, whole grain mash feeds) that you ferment it, or at least serve it wet, to 1) reduce waste and 2) ensure the birds can't pick through for favorite bits and are eating a complete diet including the powdery fines (which are protein, vitamins, minerals).

I will add that if you plan on feeding S&P (or any similar, whole grain mash feeds) that you ferment it, or at least serve it wet, to 1) reduce waste and 2) ensure the birds can't pick through for favorite bits and are eating a complete diet including the powdery fines (which are protein, vitamins, minerals).
not to hijack this, but what makes the birds jump on mush even if it is the same feed as the dry stuff in the feeder?

I don’t handle soy products very well and avoid consuming it. One of the reasons for wanting to have my own chickens was to be able to control what they ate so in turn I was controlling the eggs we are going to consume. I know organic / gmo isn’t important to everyone but I am trying to be diligent about what I’m putting in my body whether through food, body products, ect.

Is there a brand that you recommend? I do need to weigh the cost of feed and what will end up being sustainable long term so I’m kind of struggling to settle on something. The overall health of the chickens is obviously what’s most important in the long run.

Have you considered experimenting?

Get a dozen eggs that are the soy free etc eggs you are trying to emulate in your flock, and a dozen that are pasture raised.

Don't open the egg cartons to see the eggs.

Have a friend remove the labels- make one dozen "dozen A" and the other "dozen B" -- maybe the friend switches the eggs from one carton to the other, or to identical cartons - and only your friend knows which one is which.

Use one dozen and then the other and see if YOU notice any difference in how your body reacts to one over the other. Not the flavor - your own eggs will always taste better. I'm referring only to how you do physically.

I suggest this because going the soy-free etc. feed route is extremely expensive, and that's saying something given what we're paying for chicken food right now.

As @U_Stormcrow was saying, it might not make any appreciable difference to you... So maybe find out while your chicks are young and as cheep (hahah) as they ever will be to feed.

not to hijack this, but what makes the birds jump on mush even if it is the same feed as the dry stuff in the feeder?
Have you considered experimenting?

Get a dozen eggs that are the soy free etc eggs you are trying to emulate in your flock, and a dozen that are pasture raised.

Don't open the egg cartons to see the eggs.

Have a friend remove the labels- make one dozen "dozen A" and the other "dozen B" -- maybe the friend switches the eggs from one carton to the other, or to identical cartons - and only your friend knows which one is which.

Use one dozen and then the other and see if YOU notice any difference in how your body reacts to one over the other. Not the flavor - your own eggs will always taste better. I'm referring only to how you do physically.

I suggest this because going the soy-free etc. feed route is extremely expensive, and that's saying something given what we're paying for chicken food right now.

As @U_Stormcrow was saying, it might not make any appreciable difference to you... So maybe find out while your chicks are young and as cheep (hahah) as they ever will be to feed.
That’s a good idea, I’ve only been eating local eggs from a farm up the road so maybe I’ll get a carton from the store and see if I notice a difference physically

Not to hijack the OP's conversation, but creating a mash, at least where you let it sit out for a day or more, starts a microbiome growth in the mash. It will smell, sometimes sour, sometimes like cheese, once in a while, stanky, as the different cultures in the mash change proportions. My dogs are always interested in the mash, and could care less about the dry feed. They are reacting to that mash culture. The chickens must be liking it, too. I think it's part of why it often gets cited as a good thing for chicken health. It seeds the chicks' immune system, and helps balance it through their lives.

Not to hijack the OP's conversation, but creating a mash, at least where you let it sit out for a day or more, starts a microbiome growth in the mash. It will smell, sometimes sour, sometimes like cheese, once in a while, stanky, as the different cultures in the mash change proportions. My dogs are always interested in the mash, and could care less about the dry feed. They are reacting to that mash culture. The chickens must be liking it, too. I think it's part of why it often gets cited as a good thing for chicken health. It seeds the chicks' immune system, and helps balance it through their lives.
I run warm water into the dish with the feed and put it out. The next day I retrieve it. Mostly because one or more of the silly chicks have been in it with both feet and done 'their thing' in it.
fermenting might take place at a later time, when they have outgrown the medicated starter feed....

That’s a good idea, I’ve only been eating local eggs from a farm up the road so maybe I’ll get a carton from the store and see if I notice a difference physically
Or if you can find someone reasonably local that has the soy-free option - though that might be a bit of a tall order. Probably easier to find at the store.

I won't tell you what choice to make. Its your money, and its your body.
What I will say is that most of the componenents in soy don't make their way into the meat or the eggs, while the science on phytoestrogens is much less than conclusive (have you seen the CA Teacher's Study?) on soy proteins and health effects than popular "wisdom" suggests.

I will also say that the most important amino acid in a chicken's diet is Methionine - and its remarkably hard to find it in any plant source. Soy meal is one of the best, reasonably priced, available with an "organic" label plant source for that amino acid.

The similar sources (alfalfa meal, peanut meal, etc) are all also legumes, and ALSO contain high levels of phytoestrogens - the typical complaint with soy. The common alternative sources - pulses (beans) - also contain moderate levels of phytoestrogens, but tend to be higher in otheranti-nutritional factors, higher in fiber, lower in protein, and maybe high tannin sources besides. The other common alternative are seeds - high fat, often high tannins, certainly higher price.

How do you feel about fish meal? Blood meal? Shrimp or crab meal?

Does Organic REALY matter to you? Is Non-GMO "good enough"? Are you just trying to discourage the use of glyphosate?

No easy answers. Sorry.
I love stormcrow. I sit up a little taller when reading your input. BYC is lucky to have you. I feel lucky to have you here too. Thank you so much. Carry on. 🐓❤️

Who knows? Somehow making dry feed wet makes them a lot more excited, maybe it's like cold fries vs piping hot from the fryer fries to humans?
My opinion is anything i carry to the run is five star. Or, thats the chickens opinion!

Attachments

• 90FE53D9-126E-4E99-8D76-482B088CAB40.jpeg
    90FE53D9-126E-4E99-8D76-482B088CAB40.jpeg
    295.6 KB · Views: 9
  • BEDD4AC4-8E3A-4B9E-BC8A-47F77E1DCFAA.jpeg
    BEDD4AC4-8E3A-4B9E-BC8A-47F77E1DCFAA.jpeg
    920.6 KB · Views: 9
  • D776304D-66C4-4B78-BB09-7BD2CFFE092B.jpeg
    D776304D-66C4-4B78-BB09-7BD2CFFE092B.jpeg
    935.3 KB · Views: 8
  • E8162B70-B226-4B9A-9F15-AF62DBF52B06.jpeg
    E8162B70-B226-4B9A-9F15-AF62DBF52B06.jpeg