Confused by lionhead colors, help clarify.

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
Could somebody please tell me what these colors are called. And if you'd like to venture a guess on the color of kits they may produce.

Thanks so much.

This is the doe
27498_eggs_174.jpg

This is the buck
27498_eggs_171.jpg

The doe is a Smoke Pearl, the buck is a Siamese Sable. These are both shaded colors. To be shaded like this, they must be carrying one shaded gene, and either one REW gene OR one Himi gene. An animal with two shaded genes is a Seal, which is very, very dark brown, so dark it almost looks black (until you set it beside a genuine Black!) If bred together, they can produce:

Siamese Sable
Seal
REW or Himi (Pointed White)

The doe is homozygous for the dilution gene. If the buck also carries it, they could produce:

Smoke Pearl
Blue Seal
Blue Himi

Quote:
I know the bucks father was a rew. Other than that their parent hood is unclear.

Anyways I think they are cute.

Thanks bunny lady! Does one memorize all of these color genetics?? Between you and gypsy you guys could write a bunny color genetics dictionary!!

Quote:
You flatter me!
lol.png

Does one memorize all of these color genetics??

Well, yes, but it isn't as bad as it may seem. I have seen rabbit coat color genetics explained in quite a few books, including a few that have it as their only subject. After a while, you learn to say, I'm seeing this, it's caused by this gene, etc, but sometimes you still get surprises. Pedigrees can be very helpful for telling you what recessives may be lurking behind the colors that you see.

Sometimes you forget things, too. For example, I forgot to mention that both of your rabbits might very likely be carrying (but not expressing) non-extension genes (some of the non-extension colors are very common!) So, there is a possibility that you could get Sable Point/Pearl Point, too!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom