confused hens....I think

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Farm_Maven, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    i had been getting anywhere from 15 to 19 eggs a day. This last week it's been more like 9ish eggs a day. I think this crazy azz weather we've been having has confused them. We've had no winter to speak of. We went from temps in the 70's believe it or not, to temps in 40's daytime and 20's at night this week. We've had trees trying to bud out, and daffodils blooming in January.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Some of them could be molting. Are you seeing lots of feathers around?

My fruit trees have started blooming here. Unusually warm weather - haven't had a winter yet.

3. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    Nope, no moult. If there were a bunch of feathers around, I wouldn't conjecture about it. I had been letting them out quite a bit, thot maybe they been hiding eggs. Left them in yesterday, but still only 10 eggs.

4. aghiowa

aghiowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Mine have been the same, and the weather around here has been nuts too. Finally this week 2 of mine went into a hard molt. I blame the weather.

Angela

5. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    I bet it is the colder temps. Maybe when it warms back up the eggs will start coming again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by