Confused on Age to Introduce New Chicks to Existing Flock

SouthShore Phil

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 15, 2015
We have 3 four yr. old hens still laying very well (lost 2 this winter). Would like to add 5 chicks to the flock. Understand that one needs to keep them in an adjacent separate pen for a time for familiarization . I have read various articles on what the age of transition to the main coop/run should be (all different).
Plan to get new chicks June 1st and as we are in N.E. concerned about Fall weather.

Questions:

1. Place in outside temporary pen @ 12 weeks? (mid August)
  2. When they are in their pen do we need a temporary separate grow out coop for roosting at night?
  3. Transition/Introduction when they are all the same size or earlier?
Very nervous about the introduction to the existing flock. Our flock is not free range but the run is large. Coop will accommodate more birds but no way I could add a separating temporary partition.

The pen for the chicks needs to be secure from predators and give them a secure dry place to sleep. The same as the bigger coop would do.

I would get them into the introduction pen before 6 weeks old. Pretty much as soon as they are off the supplemental heat and feathered out.
By 8 weeks they should be able to be in the coop with the older birds.
Many people integrate at 4 weeks of age too.

I know that once they are no longer peeping and are big the existing flock tends to see the newcomers as a threat so it gets much rougher.

Provide multiple feeders, provide hiding places in the run, put things in to give the kids a way to get away from an adult that is being cranky. It helps a ton.

Last edited:
I think the age really depends on when you want to add them. The advice I have seen the most is to do a see but no touch with the babies and older chickens. Let the older ones be able to see them but not be able to touch/hurt them. I have read do this for a week try while supervising if the older ones are bullying put them back in the, see no touch area for another week then try again. That’s what I have done I waited until chicks were a least half the size as my older ones before allowing them to mingle. Do to establishing pecking order, it dos look like they are not getting along but in my experience that only last a few weeks, then all is happy in the coop again. Good luck.

Well that makes us feel bit better. The articles I have read are 50/50 with many stating
absolutely wait till all the same size.

I think as long as they get to see each other it’s easier than just throwing them together. They have time to know the babies are there and they get to familiarize them selves.

I'm another person on the "introduce 'em early" train. I started my last batch of chicks outside at 2 days, they started mingling with adults a little past 2 weeks, and moved into the coop before 6 weeks. Another bonus from early integration is the chicks learn to "chicken" from watching the adults, so makes everything easier from getting them to try new foods to teaching them to roost.

Since you're starting in summer it should easily be warm enough to start the chicks outside if you set up for it and have electricity. If you're interested in early integration but unsure about how you'd go about setting things up in your coop and run, post photos and maybe we can see what you can add or modify to make it work for you.

A couple things in your favor you are adding more chicks than you have hens. I like adding mine on their terms. I let them as chickens figure it out. Put them in the see no touch for a week. I would have a shelter for the chicks, but I would have them outsdie by 3 weeks. Outsdie is better for chicks.

I don't put them in with added heat. I have had very good luck with an insulated place fro them to crawl under and swrm up.

I like to create one way gates, that the chicks can escape to or venture forth on their terms. I stay out of it.

Mrs K

OK my 6 chicks will arrive by June 1. Like the positive reviews on an earlier integration!
So my plan will be to use an existing chicken tractor playpen 12' x 6' along side the existing run at about 6 weeks.
Big concern: I guess I have to make some kind of temporary coop attached to the playpen? PIA

Back
Top Bottom