Confused on all Flock Feed

I've been feeding the Purina Layena (Oyster Strong formula w/ added omega-3) to my laying hens and mature rooster for 3-4 years now. I wasn't even aware of an "all flock" feed. Now I'm questioning whether I've been feeding my small flock appropriately. Would you recommend the "all flock" over the Layena, especially since I have the 1 rooster? Or am I concerned for naught?

I have gotten good results from using all-flock with oystershell so far.

I find that when I buy the lower protein layer feed because the farm store is out of what I normally buy they go through a bag of feed in 5 days instead of 7.

I have gotten good results from using all-flock with oystershell so far.

I find that when I buy the lower protein layer feed because the farm store is out of what I normally buy they go through a bag of feed in 5 days instead of 7.
Oh, that is interesting! I haven't noticed this with my chickens because I feed all flock, but I have noticed with my goats that a handful of grain every night really seems to satiate them and they don't go through as much hay. Must be similar - the protein in the all flock must fill them up.

I would say no and to stick with the layer feed.
Your rooster is more likely to die of old age from eating the layer feed than he will die from suffering from eating too much calcium.

Your layers will suffer much more quickly from not getting enough calcium if you give them the option to eat it or not.

Are You currently having issues in your flock?
Thanks for the advice. No issues with my birds. They have free access to the Layena pellets and grit and oyster shell in separate feeders.

Back
Top Bottom