Confused on breed

realtreegirl

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 25, 2013
Hello...I had posted some pics a couple weeks ago of some extra chicks I received.I was told they were probably production reds. I have one more that stayed small so I was hoping it was on of the bantams I ordered. It is growing a bit now and finally feathering out. It is just over a month old now. The pics on the bottom looked similar to the top bird like 3 weeks ago. Is it likely they are the same breed and that far from each other developing. I see feather color is very similar but wing pattern is different and head feathers have yet to even show on top bird. Thanks guys!

Chick in question

These are the other chicks that are production reds or RIR....They are the same age as the one above but thay are so much bigger and feathered out!

Hello...I had posted some pics a couple weeks ago of some extra chicks I received.I was told they were probably production reds. I have one more that stayed small so I was hoping it was on of the bantams I ordered. It is growing a bit now and finally feathering out. It is just over a month old now. The pics on the bottom looked similar to the top bird like 3 weeks ago. Is it likely they are the same breed and that far from each other developing. I see feather color is very similar but wing pattern is different and head feathers have yet to even show on top bird. Thanks guys!

Chick in question

These are the other chicks that are production reds or RIR....They are the same age as the one above but thay are so much bigger and feathered out!

This is a pullet

This is a cockerel. And yes, they are both production reds.

This is why I like to call them "hatchery Rhode Island Reds" as well. RIRs from hatcheries are usually not purebreds, most hatcheries like to cross in some Leghorn or New Hampshire Red blood in them to increase egg production. Some hatcheries call them Rhode Island Red, other call them Production Reds or Cherry Eggers. True RIRs are actually a deep mahogany color, they are very pretty birds if you have ever seen one before. :) Here's an example of one:

000_0055.jpg

Last edited:
I figured it was just kinda hoping it wasn't lol I ordered Buff Black Tail Jap Bantam and they all died and only the extras lived. Which were supposed to be males but I ended up with one pullet and if the runt is 2 :) So I don't mind the pullets just didn't need the roos! Thanks all and the true RIR's are very pretty color!

Back
Top Bottom