Confused on how to get started with my current setup

TexasChicky

In the Brooder
Aug 6, 2016
Hi everyone, ready to insert an eyeroll? ;)

I'm completely confused on how to get started with what I currently have. Not sure how to add pics, but my coop is a standard coop with attached run (similar to any you can find on Amazon) that is advertised being able to hold 4-6 LF chickens. They'll have a larger enclosed area outside the coop/run to free range daily, and then will be let out to officially free range across our entire backyard often.

Looks like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-8-Woo...se-4-6-Chickens-nesting-box-Run-/391364341115

My 4 LF and 2 bantam chicks arrive next week. I live in N. Texas where daytime highs are currently in the low 100s, nights around 80 degrees.

Not sure how to proceed with the chicks? I prefer to get them outside as soon as possible - I can keep them in the garage until they get too big for a large Tupperware and I've read all about MHP and wool hens and other things...but not sure how they could apply to me, my current setup and my current temperatures.

Advice?

I am not an expert but here is what I think you'll need and a few tips. Other more seasoned folks may have better advice. You will need some chick starter/ grower feed, a feeder or food bowl, a water fount or something to give your chicks water in. You may want to put some marbles or rocks in the water bowl so the chicks don't drown. I don't think you need any extra heat with those temperatures. A huddle box or wool might comfort your chicks or a fluffy stuffed animal but are not really necessary. You will also need some pine shavings as bedding for your rubber maid tote and in the coop for the chicks to sleep in and catch the poo. I like to set my chicks water bowl and food bowl up on some bricks or planks raised slightly out of the shavings to keep them a bit cleaner. I have heard of folks putting their chicks out in the coop pretty early on like at a week or so old and others keep them inside till they are fully feathered out around 6 weeks old. It just depends on what you are comfortable with. If you're pretty sure your coop is predator proof you might feel comfortable putting them out there at a couple weeks old. That's all I can think of right now. I hope it helps.

I'd recommend installing the new chicks right in your coop, but it appears it would be too small for you to interact with the chicks. If it's possible to access the coop from outside, to be able to clean it, feed the chicks and change drinking water, and inspect each chick daily and administer necessary treatments, then that would be a better way to start than brooding in a plastic tote indoors. Plastic totes are not the best brooders. They're hot and too confining.

Your climate is suitable for brooding chicks outdoors with minimal additional heat. If you have electricity to your coop, I would go with the MHP system.

I live in the Texas heat too,
You WILL NOT need a heating pad/lamp at all for them!

Last edited:
They will not need EXTRA heat....

Last edited:
I live in the Texas heat too,
You WILL NOT need a heating pad/lamp at all for them!
Right? It's so confusing! You think nothing even at night? I know next week is actually supposed to dip into the 70s.

P.S. I know I'm over-complicating, but I'm a planner!

They will not need EXTRA heat....
Did you order from Ideal?

What breeds did you order?
No, I got them from MPC. 1 Barred Rock, 1 Golden Buff (Red Star), 2 Easter Eggers, 2 Bantams (random). Supposedly all female but we'll see.

i too will be getting a shipment of day old chicks tomorrow.
I FYI..I will be keeping my chicks inside in a bedroom where the ac vent is shut off, with NO heat lamp or MHP.
They will stay indoors for one, MAYBE two weeks, then straight out to the coop.

I will be taking them outside daily starting on day 2 to "free range" for a little while each evening.

Back
Top Bottom