Confused on thermostats.....help

Is your thermostat mounted onto a bracket or did you just poke it through the styrofoam?? It looks great!!! I'm getting one right now.

Since this box happened to be styrofoam, I used a #1 philips screwdrive to make a hole(s). Then, I Gorilla glued little plastic hollow wall anchors into the holes. Left these to set over night.

These anchors made it possible to then run screws into them and mount the various pieces of equipment

Hey Fred thanks for the tip regarding the thermostat. I just installed it and it is working perfectly!!! Keeps the temp within 1 degree. Constant 99-100.

Strader I know what you mean but you can't go wrong with the bi-metal thermostat. It keeps the temp to within one degree and the kit was only $17. Very simple to install too.

If I were building a 100+ egg incubator, I'd absolutely invest in the more expensive digital thermostat. The value of the eggs would demand the higher quality unit.

My re-purposed foam box, in total, only represents a $25 investment. It's merely a hatcher and can hold perhaps 24 eggs, that's it. The accuracy of the bi-metal unit is excellent, as Timba mentioned.

Hey Fred thanks for the tip regarding the thermostat. I just installed it and it is working perfectly!!! Keeps the temp within 1 degree. Constant 99-100.

Awesome news!

I wanted to chime in that you can also use hot water bottles (or any other vessel filled with water, sealed) to help maintain steady temperatures especially in homemade or cabinet style incubators
smile.png

Thanks Vi. As it turns out I made 2 incubators to see which one works best. The one with the thermostat and one with just a dimmer (this one has 2 mason jars with water and holds a steady temp too). Let's see what happens. I should get my order of eggs tomorrow. Hope the USPS didn't rough them up.

Thanks Vi. As it turns out I made 2 incubators to see which one works best. The one with the thermostat and one with just a dimmer (this one has 2 mason jars with water and holds a steady temp too). Let's see what happens. I should get my order of eggs tomorrow. Hope the USPS didn't rough them up.

Oh awesome! I'm receiving eggs in the usps tomorrow too!
You should come over to the hatch a long, we'll probably be hatching together at the same time! :) :) :)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/846539/jan-feb-2014-hatch-a-long/490

Back
Top Bottom