Confused on thermostats.....help

Timba

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 9, 2014
Miami, FL
I've been reading multiple threads on making a homemade incubator, so I felt confident enough to make my own. I'm using a Styrofoam cooler a 60 W lightbulb and a computer fan. My question is I'm not sure which thermostats to use. I currently have a hot water heater thermostat but the temperatures fluctuate by seven or 8° From previous threads folks have mentioned a Reptitemp 500. Has anyone used this thermostat? Can you post pics of your set up? I know this topic has been repeated over and over but I would really appreciate any input.

Video showing the effect if radiant heat vs. convection heat on a hot water heater thermostat. Basically, move the thermostat closer to the heat source so the radiant heat of it warms the thermostat faster and will shut off sooner causing less fluctuation in temperature.

I just built a hatcher and am using this, from Incubator Warehouse. http://incubatorwarehouse.com/bi-metal-egg-incubator-thermostat-kit.html

Highly recommend it. Works wonderfully. Very accurate. On a side note, the odds are you'll find you are using far too much wattage in a single bulb. Mine is holding steadier temps with a 25watt bulb.

In a larger box, I'd use two sockets and put a 25watt in each. This would be a failsafe way of having one bulb continue, should the first bulb burn out unnoticed. It would also have the benefit of spreading the heat source out more evenly. Your Mileage May Vary.

Should I poke holes into the incubator for ventilation? I adjusted the thermostat and Plaisted closer to the bulb but the temperature still fluctuates from 94 to 100°. That's too much of a temperature change isn't it?

The thermostat I pointed you toward above from incubator warehouse has only been varying between 99,1 and 99.9 for an average of 99.6

The hot water heater thermostats often allow for far too broad a swing and can be hard to control. The price of a quality thermostat with good results of hatched eggs is priceless. $17 is cheap for great results.

My entire hatcher only cost me $30 in parts and competes favorably with purchased incubators costing $140 or more. YouTube has dozens and dozens of videos from how to folks on their ideas.

The guy Rush Lane Poultry has a dozen videos he's made over the years, building different types. Worth spending the time watching a half dozen of his videos.

Back
Top Bottom