Confused over feed

Fluttershy17

Chirping
Oct 7, 2019
Summerville, South Carolina
I have seven chicks that are between 7 and 8 weeks old. When should I switch from starter feed to grower feed? They have been in the coop and in their run for around four weeks now, if that matters. I tossed the tag that was on the bag, but I’ve seen people say they should be switched around this age, at 10 weeks, and upwards of 20 weeks. I’m very confused. They are only going to be used as laying hens when they get older. The feed they are on now is non medicated. Any help is appreciated.

As featheredplanets said, you don't have to switch; I'd use the chick crumb till it runs out, then consider the options available where you are. The extra calcium (oyster shell) will be needed only if you do not opt for layer feed, once they start laying.

If you were to compare the tags on all flock or grower feed and starter feed, you would discover the ingredients and proportions are almost exactly the same. For this reason, I never even bother with chick starter at all. My new chicks get the same feed as the rest of the flock.

I never feed layer rations to my laying hens. They also eat the same all flock feed as the rest of the flock, only with oyster shell available as free choice.

Juggling several different kinds of feed is unnecessary and expensive. Oh, wait. That may be the point.

My new chicks get the same feed as the rest of the flock.
Which is...what?

Mine do to Purina Flock raiser is good for all ages and genders.

the I’ll buy pellets
What kind of pellets? That just the shape of the feed.

If you were to compare the tags on all flock or grower feed and starter feed, you would discover the ingredients and proportions are almost exactly the same
Wise words here...learn to read the nutrition tags showing percentages of nutrients, especially protein and calcium.

We buy our feed from local feed store ...it has the exact same ingredients as the Purina layer pellets..I took him the tag from the gg..they make food...they made me up my beet pulp and soybean meal for goats today too...

We buy our feed from local feed store ...it has the exact same ingredients as the Purina layer pellets..I took him the tag from the gg..they make food...they made me up my beet pulp and soybean meal for goats today too...
The reason I use starter for chicks is because of the size of the bird and we typically have ducklings too...it’s just easier to keep them on the little stuff while they are little..and nutrition is same

Back
Top Bottom