Confused. Which breed?Black star/barnevelder/dark cornish?

Ethridgechixs

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 31, 2011
Bixby, OK
I am so very confused at this point. We picked a variety of chicks from the mixed heavy laying pullets bin at our local tractor supply about 22 weeks ago. Most of my chickens we figure out pretty easily but there were 2 that we have gone back and forth on. at first we thought they were black sex links and then we thought maybe Barnevelders but now I a worried they may be dark cornish. I want chickens for eggs not meat. that is why we picked from the mixed layers pullets bin.
here is what I know about my chickens. Niether one of them has much comb to speak of. One of them the little comb they have got real res yesterdaay and today she layed her forst egg. I was expecting a dark brown egg but got a real light tan egg. I don't know when Cornish start layig but I have read that they don't lay many eggs. These hens don't have small compact bodies. they seem thinker by a little from my other hens not as much fluff in the rump area but the same size pretty much. Their leggs are long and skinny just like the other hens. I am including a few pics... can anyone help me figure out what these girls are.
Oh and their feather patterns seem to have some double lacing. some brown, some gold.
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x371/Rhiley1/Snapbucket/7AF37E34-orig.jpg

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x371/Rhiley1/Snapbucket/E45B8C82-orig.jpg

There are also pics of them in my photo album from a few weeks back. they are listed as Barnevelders????

Sorry, those are definitally dark cornish. You could still keep them- cornish are not strictly meat birds, they are different from Cornish X. They are supposed to be good foragers, and do lay, just not very well.

Yep those are Cornish.

But do not worry! These Cornish are poor quality, meaning they've been bred mainly for laying eggs, so they'll be good foragers and decent layers, not as poor as you might imagine, but decent especially in their first year. She may very likely try to go broody on you though.

Yes, your birds are cornish, but not the huge white cornish cross meaties--two different things. Several folks here have full cornish hatchery hens that are decent layers. They're also great foragers, if you have the ability to free range. You can always post them for sale at your feed store or on craigslist, etc.

I am going to call the hatchery and see if they would be willing to replace them for me since they were mixed in with the laying pullets.

Why are they poor quality? does that mean for meat?
also will there eggs get bigger? I am so bummed I already have people wanting eggs from me and now I am down 2 birds for consistant eggs. On the other hand thee birds are very sweet natured. Now I have to figure out how to get replacements and introduce those to my hens without causing a problem. yikes.

thank you for the help.

Back
Top Bottom