Confused!

Sricher91

Chirping
Mar 22, 2018
Does anyone know exactly what this means?

No person shall keep in this town, or cause, or allow to be kept, any fowl of any kind to be kept in any part of a dwelling house or allow any fowl to go at large off his premises.

Does it just mean that fowl can’t be kept in the house and that they can’t be leaving your property? This is the only thing mentioned about fowl in our city ordinances.

Does anyone know exactly what this means?

No person shall keep in this town, or cause, or allow to be kept, any fowl of any kind to be kept in any part of a dwelling house or allow any fowl to go at large off his premises.

Does it just mean that fowl can’t be kept in the house and that they can’t be leaving your property? This is the only thing mentioned about fowl in our city ordinances.
they can't live inside a human house, and can't be off your property with out a leash. :)

they can't live inside a human house, and can't be off your property with out a leash. :)
Ahhh that’s what I thought. How do I know if they’re are certain areas of my town that can and can’t own chickens? Would it say it?

sure sounds like you are not allowed to keep them your assumption is correct
I am sorry

Well, I don’t think that’s the case. I live in a city that is mostly country/farms and almost everyone has chickens (and other live stock). I’m a mail carrier for my city and more people than not have free roam chickens lol. I get chased by them sometimes :lau

I’m just concerned because I know in some cities that you can only keep them in certain areas and I live close to “town”. I have no idea how to figure any of this out :(

Actually I read it the way Rose Quartz did, that you can't have them in a human house, and that they must be contained on your property... and that's it.

I would call up your town's zoning office and ask them to clarify, because it sure reads like the restrictions are only as stated above.

Ugh after looking at zoning it looks we are right on the line and aren’t aloud to own. I honestly wouldn’t be that concerned except I have a nosey neighbor (not too close to us) who loves to be in our business. I have a 5 year old, does anyone know if joint 4-H protects me?

It's similar in my city. We can have the chickens as long as they are 24-7 penned and/or the neighbors don't complain. It's actually sort of a loophole in the ordinance, because it doesn't specifically say you can't have chickens at all. People have been trying to change the ordinance to say no one can have chickens at all in city limits, but we have activist groups that are keeping them from having their way. Free range poultry is only permitted on lots larger than an acre. My husband called animal control to ask about the ordinances, and they acted like they had no idea any even existed. All of that said, many people in my city own and free range chickens in their backyards, regardless. I've never heard of anyone having to get rid of their feathered friends. Offer your neighbor some fresh eggs, that's what I do.

Back
Top Bottom