Confused

Chicken Rookie18

Hatching
May 24, 2018
Hi all! I am brand new to raising chicken, and I have been googling, reading "Raising Chickens for Dummies", looking at pictures, and anything else I can come up with. I'm a wee bit obsessed, lol. We went to our local feed chain and bought some chicks at the end of April. I'm still trying to decide what some of them are, because they were just separated by "pullets", "assorted heavies", etc. There was one little bitty gray, with black on the butt, adorable thing that was so tiny I was worried about it. It has been doing very well, but like I said, I have had them for about a month and when I look at pictures that are guides to how old a chick may be, she matches with a chick that is about 2-3 weeks old. I feel like she is so far behind the other chicks. Even if I got her when she was a day old, she is still behind. She's even quite a bit smaller than the others. And, I can't find any hint of what kind she may be. I'm worried that maybe there is something wrong with her. Any advice????

Welcome to BYC :) Your best bet is to post pictures so we can take a gander.

What food do you have them on? Are you giving them grit? What temp is their brooder set to?

Welcome to BYC! :welcome
There are many articles and videos to help you raise chickens on this site!
You would probably want to post some pictures of the baby and let us see what it is.

Welcome to BYC :) Your best bet is to post pictures so we can take a gander.

What food do you have them on? Are you giving them grit? What temp is their brooder set to?
I still have them on medicated chick starter. But, according to what I've read, it's time to transition their feed. My plans are to do that this weekend, but I was worried because she's not the only one in the brooder. They do have access to grit. We have them in our shop, so during the day we are turning the lamp off because we've gone in and they've been panting. They aren't huddling or acting cold. She doesn't act sick or like anything is wrong, she is just so much smaller and farther behind the others who were in with her as far as getting her feathers. It's about time to put the others into the coop, but I just don't think she's ready. I wasn't sure if there is such a thing as a runt, or if it's just her breed...whatever that may be, lol. I will take better pics as soon as I get home tonight. :)

My daughter has this picture. Does this help? She took this one Tuesday.

Attachments

• Little Gertie.jpg
    Little Gertie.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom