Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Twin-1 with the 2 hens behind her/him

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

etumilty

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 26, 2012
I just got my first 6 chickens in November and thought they were all pullets. Turns out I had a rooster who started crowing 2 weeks ago and so we relocated him to a local farm that has a petting area and loves getting new additions to their flock. Well, we started hearing crowing again, only not the conventional cockadoodle-doo so now I'm mystified. The "twins" as we've been calling them have gotten some nice tail feathers but no real spurs and really flaky feet. One is getting a comb and has white ear pads but the others comb is still low and lumpy. I brought one inside in a pet carrier but neither one crowed this morning. I'm adding pics if anyone can give some input. Other wise I'll take them both to the farm and see what they say.
Thanks!

Those are both roosters. Spurs aren't a good indicator of a young roo but those long drapey feathers on the neck and back near the tail are hallmark rooster signs. The top roo had a straight comb, the bottom bird has a different type of comb, hard to tell from the pic but maybe a rosecomb, it will always be lumpy and closer to the head, but will get larger and redder.

I don't know what you mean by flaky feet, can't tell from the pics but you might want to search for scaley mite and see if that's an issue. You don't want to take that to another flock.

they both are roosters it looks like

the 2nd one for sure you can clearly see the hackles on him and for the 1st one it looks like there are hackles on it to just not as long. you sure the white one is a pullet? if not given that you got them in nov that would make them almost 3 months and i would also say that its a cockerel to the other one in the 2nd pic in the back to the right is indeed a pullet

thank you! I read some where that hens legs were rougher than the males. I can't recall where though.

i have never heard that before and out of the hens and roos that we have here none are like that their legs are always the same if you feel them

Back
Top Bottom