Confusing hens?:/ any ideas

randerson846

Songster
6 Years
Apr 14, 2013
I have 11 hens and i am only getting 5 or 6 eggs a day they started to lay again after the winter around a month maybe 2 months ago, but i don't understand why the other 5/6 aren't any ideas

ISA browns and maybe 1 1/2 or 2 years over
Well if they are over 2 then that could be the reason. Its not that half of them aren't laying it will be that half are laying one day then the other half the next day. If they are just 1 and a half I would probably expect more. Are they up to date with worming and have you checked for lice etc? Also are they free range because if so, they may be laying away.

Why if they are two do they not lay as much, and I went out at 12:30 and I had 7 ahah sorta contradicting myself her ahah :lol:

Last edited:
Why if they are two do they not lay as much, and I went out at 12:30 and I had 7 ahah sorta contradicting myself her ahah
lol.png
Their eggs usually drop to every other day when they are 2+. Thats why commercial farms get rid of them at 18 months old because they don't lay as much. You will have the odd few who will lay daily for a bit longer. Maybes they just need a bit more time to kick in if their egg number is slowly rising :)

Back
Top Bottom