Confusion at hatchery--are we EE and SLW pullet chicks?(updated pics)

hyzenthlay

Songster
12 Years
Feb 26, 2009
SW PA
Yesterday I got my first two chicks ever, from Meyer hatchery. They are healthy, active, and cute.

Now, here's the thing. They're supposed to be an EE ("Ameraucana") pullet and a Silver Laced Wyandotte pullet. And that's what they look like to me. I called ahead yesterday before I drove out there and picked them up, and Meyer confirmed that that's what my order said. Well, I was so excited when I picked them up that I didn't look at my receipt until I got home. And it said that I had purchased an Ameraucana pullet and an Ameraucana male. Ack!! I live in the city, and most definitely cannot have a rooster. I most certainly did not order an Ameraucana male. I called Meyer this morning to see if the receipt was just wrong, but the people there said, no, that's what your order says. D'oh! That's not what it said when I called yesterday! Anyway, I STILL think it looks like I got the right birds, but I was hoping maybe you guys could confirm it for me. Otherwise, I guess I'm just stuck waiting to see how they grow up.
3400879786_5005df6e11.jpg
3400127219_dfdbff231d.jpg

3400958808_e26d4699a1.jpg
3401933734_493fb92bea.jpg

3401151845_f9c4688ec1.jpg

3400082179_759f2ddf79.jpg

Can you tell from these pictures? Have you seen a hatchery EE that looks like that black chick? Do either of them seem male at all?

*I cross posted this in the "Raising Baby Chicks" board because, well, even if I got the wrong chicks, they're still cute! Thanks!!

Last edited:
they are adorable, but you can't tell when they're that young
sad.png

edited to add, they look like ee's, and either a slw or an ee (i've had both that looked like that!) but you can't tell the gender by looking
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. I am a little comforted that the chipmunky one looks slightly muffed, and the other doesn't, and that when they stand next to each other you can see the chipmunk has a slight greenish cast to its legs. Most of the SLW chick pics I've seen seem to have a little more white markings around their heads, but I think that could just be an individual variation.

So, yeah, I'm hoping I got the right ones, and I'm glad to hear you guys think I might've. I know sex is probably impossible to tell now, so what has me the most worried is that they could've given me a SLW pullet and an EE roo--although, that would be odd because if they got the SLW part right, I'd think they'd get the pullet part right, too.

Eek! This is my first time with chicks, and I hate having the uncertainty!

Thanks to all who helped last week. One week later, I feel even more sure that I got the right order after all. The EE's legs are turning decidedly green, while the SLW's legs remain orangey. Here they are again, at 1 week.

3420701668_8f39b48f55.jpg

3419836389_1923b5fdda.jpg

3420691012_138688f5e8.jpg

The whole gang, including their newest little "sister", a 1 day old Salmon Faverolle.
3420618330_3e5a5cec7e.jpg

3420579724_93b0784708.jpg

Now, I just have to wait and hope that the hatchery sexed them correctly!

I got all 3 of the breeds you did from meyer last month--they look the same--bet we have sisters or cousins! Wait till you see the red feathers come in on the faverolle and the silver streaks on the black SLW. Have fun.

Back
Top Bottom