Congested chicken

katharbour

Chirping
Feb 5, 2017
One of our chickens is congested. I have read about Tylan but she is laying eggs and it warns against using it if hen is laying. Any other suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Poor thing, she has pretty severe gasping. Is a vet possible? Has she been wormed recently? I would give the Tylan and also worm her with SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 1/4 ml per pound orally for 5 straight days. Where are you located? Just asking in case gapeworm or Newcastles could be a problem. Have you seen any mold? I would try getting her drinking some water, and make sure that she has good coop ventilation with fresh air and not too hot.

We are in Virginia and have just come out of a heat wave. I cannot find Tylan here. I have amoxicillin I got at the local animal shelter. I will start Safeguard tomorrow. A fellow farm member thought it might be aspirated pneumonia. It’s odd for sure. Her eyes are clear, active eating and her comb is not discolored. Do you think amoxicillin is an alternative to Tylan?

She has always had crop issues so she may have aspirated crop contents.
good morning. I finally received Tylan and I need to know how many doses to give. She is much better but not fully recovered. Thanks for any help provided,

Back
Top Bottom