Respiratory infection in a miniature Delaware he

MJ in SD

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2020
I have a pint sized Delaware hen, she is very tame, but recently she has been sickly… sounds congested. I have tried vet rx. She is wheezing and sounds congested like she has a stuffed nose… or beak… I have a video where you can hear her, but can’t seem to attach it. We do not have a vet in our area that treats poultry.

Please advise any other remedies.

Thanks much!

Vet rx is nit medicine, it's vicks rub for chickens. A placebo.
Upload video to YouTube or a similar site and link back here.
Can you order any antibiotics from chewy?

Vet rx is nit medicine, it's vicks rub for chickens. A placebo.
Upload video to YouTube or a similar site and link back here.
Can you order any antibiotics from chewy?
I do have penicillin liquid for injection. I also have some oral clindamycin for cats/dogs as well.. I have given my normal sized chickens shots of penicillin a couple time after consulting with a vet when they had a bad wound…I just looked and It is expired but can’t imagine it’s bad as it had been in the fridge, but will call them in the a.m. I will work on uploading the video next. We do have a large animal vet and they are good about letting me get antibiotics…but that’s it…It’s sad… She is getting worse, sounds like someone with asthma. :(

Aside from congestion, does she have any bubbles in either eye, swelling of her eyelids or face, sneezing, or crackles when breathing? Tylan or Tylosin, oxytetracycline, or Denagard are the appropriate antibiotics for treating MG, a common respiratory disease. If it is caused by a virus, then antibiotics won’t help.

Aside from congestion, does she have any bubbles in either eye, swelling of her eyelids or face, sneezing, or crackles when breathing? Tylan or Tylosin, oxytetracycline, or Denagard are the appropriate antibiotics for treating MG, a common respiratory disease. If it is caused by a virus, then antibiotics won’t help.

Here is a video. No bubbles, just congestion and wheezing. She is still eating and drinking, but seems to be getting worse daily. I have some penicillin which I did giver her last night. I am going to call my vet this morning and see if I can get some meds for her.

Back
Top Bottom