Still snorkeling

Ajoy1955

Songster
Jul 1, 2023
Greeneville Tennessee
My pullet that has turned 19 weeks is still making a congested sound from her throat, it is not constant but every now and then…. It started the week of July 4.. she has been treated with oil of oregano in the water, VetRx, LA-200, then Tylan 50 as per the vet instructions, she was treated for 5 days got better, was better for 5 days, so I decided to integrate her along with her two flock mates with my original flock, after two days of being with the original flock, she started again with the congested sound in her throat, so now I have my entire flock on Denagard, for five days now, she is still snorkeling… none of the other chickens 5 total are sick, and have shown no signs.. I have come to the conclusion that my pullet has alergies!!! She is vibrant, eats good, poop is healthy, eyes are bright, and no discharge from her nostrils… in the very beginning back in July she did have a clear discharge from nostrils… but not now… at night I use a mist spray bottle and mist her with VetRx …I guess this is going to be a chronic condition with this girl ( she is a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte) and she layed her first egg two days ago! Any advice appreciated!

Was she tested for respiratory infections at the vet?
No… this was my daughter in laws vet in Baltimore and we spoke on the phone.. told him all of her symptoms, the Tylan 50 actually worked… he told me the dosing to give her.. at that time she was in the break in run, and I was able to treat her and her flock mates with the Tylan in the water, since she got well, I took down all of the separate fence …

Sorry to be a downer but since the antibiotics worked, it’s likely a bacterial infection. Those aren’t curable in chickens so that pullet and the rest of your flock will be carriers for life.

If you are in the US your state probably has a vet lab that can do testing to find out what bacteria your pullet has. That will give you more information to work with.

If you keep a closed flock and treat any sick birds with antibiotics, they can live a fairly good life, but probably not as long as a healthy flock. Make sure to not add any new chickens or sell/rehome any that you have currently. These bacteria are easily spread to other flocks. Some bacteria can even pass from a hen to the egg so do not hatch any chicks unless you have a diagnosis.

Sorry to be a downer but since the antibiotics worked, it’s likely a bacterial infection. Those aren’t curable in chickens so that pullet and the rest of your flock will be carriers for life.

If you are in the US your state probably has a vet lab that can do testing to find out what bacteria your pullet has. That will give you more information to work with.

If you keep a closed flock and treat any sick birds with antibiotics, they can live a fairly good life, but probably not as long as a healthy flock. Make sure to not add any new chickens or sell/rehome any that you have currently. These bacteria are easily spread to other flocks. Some bacteria can even pass from a hen to the egg so do not hatch any chicks unless you have a diagnosis.
Why hasn’t any of the others gotten sick?

They don’t always get sick at the same time, just like people don’t always get sick even if we are exposed to the same germs.

I had sickness in my flock last year and a few got very sick quickly, some got a little sick over a couple months, and some never showed signs of being sick at all. I got two chickens tested and it was MS, MG, and coryza. I raise my chickens for meat so it is necessary for my flock to produce healthy chicks. With that diagnosis chicks wouldn’t be healthy, so I decided to cull the flock and get rid of the bacteria by waiting 8 weeks before getting chickens again. It was a hard decision and it’s not right for everyone.

I think the best thing to do is get the chicken tested so you know exactly what the illness is.

How do I know when to should treat my pullet, she has the gurgling rattle sound every so often…she is extremely vibrant, eats and drinks very well, her poop is healthy…just when she is stressed by the older hens she makes this sound… as I have said she has had three rounds different antibiotics and she just can’t get rid of this…I am not able to separate her at this time, nor do I have a Avian vet …should I just let her live her life as a chicken and as long as she is vibrant not worry about it?? This has me so extremely stressed out, cause I never had this issue with my existing flock…. I pride myself in keeping my coops and run cleaned every day and fresh water every other day or daily, and I clean their water bowls every time with vinegar. They get an afternoon treat of fermented Henhouse Reserve feed in addition to free choice laying pellet ..plus in their drinking water I add 3 drops of oil of oregano essential oil …I feel so bad that I have failed my girls cause I am not able to catch and treat them for their ailments.. I have physical limitations… thanks for letting me rant 😎

How do I know when to should treat my pullet, she has the gurgling rattle sound every so often…she is extremely vibrant, eats and drinks very well, her poop is healthy…just when she is stressed by the older hens she makes this sound… as I have said she has had three rounds different antibiotics and she just can’t get rid of this…I am not able to separate her at this time, nor do I have a Avian vet …should I just let her live her life as a chicken and as long as she is vibrant not worry about it?? This has me so extremely stressed out, cause I never had this issue with my existing flock…. I pride myself in keeping my coops and run cleaned every day and fresh water every other day or daily, and I clean their water bowls every time with vinegar. They get an afternoon treat of fermented Henhouse Reserve feed in addition to free choice laying pellet ..plus in their drinking water I add 3 drops of oil of oregano essential oil …I feel so bad that I have failed my girls cause I am not able to catch and treat them for their ailments.. I have physical limitations… thanks for letting me rant 😎
👇
Can you get a video of how she sounds?

Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Is her crop emptying overnight?
Any lesions or canker inside the beak?

Back
Top Bottom