Electrolytes in water: standard timeframe to use?

texsuze

Crowing
11 Years
Dec 17, 2012
Texas Hill Country
Disclaimer: Fay (BA hen) tested positive for MG and MS two years ago and sadly went to The Rainbow Bridge several months after her diagnosis.

Fast forward to last month: one of Fay's original flockmates --Celeste (BA, coming 7 y.o.)-- began showing what I believe are MG signs like increased respiration, slowing down, congested, coughs periodically. Vet prescribed oxytet in water which all the hens received. Now about 2 1/2 weeks post-treatment and Celeste didn't show any real improvement, but is otherwise eating, drinking, foraging, preening, participating with the others albeit at a slower pace, resting more. Four days ago I started Rooster Booster electrolytes/lactobacillis in all but two water founts, with daily water changes. Celeste has consumed therapeutic doses daily and actually seems to be slightly 'brighter' in her attitude although still shows signs of some congestion, still a bit slow.

Question: How long can I /should I continue the electrolytes?

Disclaimer: Fay (BA hen) tested positive for MG and MS two years ago and sadly went to The Rainbow Bridge several months after her diagnosis.

Fast forward to last month: one of Fay's original flockmates --Celeste (BA, coming 7 y.o.)-- began showing what I believe are MG signs like increased respiration, slowing down, congested, coughs periodically. Vet prescribed oxytet in water which all the hens received. Now about 2 1/2 weeks post-treatment and Celeste didn't show any real improvement, but is otherwise eating, drinking, foraging, preening, participating with the others albeit at a slower pace, resting more. Four days ago I started Rooster Booster electrolytes/lactobacillis in all but two water founts, with daily water changes. Celeste has consumed therapeutic doses daily and actually seems to be slightly 'brighter' in her attitude although still shows signs of some congestion, still a bit slow.

Question: How long can I /should I continue the electrolytes?

Does the package have instructions? If so, follow what it says.

The Rooster Booster site has an FAQ page:
https://www.roosterboosterproducts.com/faq

One of the questions is about why that product says to use for only 3-5 days, and the answer given is:

"The Vitamins & Electrolytes are designed to be used during times of stress. This can include new baby chicks, extreme weather fluctuations, moving to a new home, taking birds to a show or exhibit, molting, etc.

"Since it contains a couple of oil-based vitamins and quite a bit of salt we recommend that it only be used for several days at a time and repeated only as needed. Long term use can create an accumulation of these elements in your birds' system."

(My personal opinion: if the chickens also have a source of plain water, that reduces the risk of over-doing it with the electrolyte mixture. Since you have multiple water founts, maybe keep putting it in just one of them, leaving all the rest with plain water. Or go back to plain water in all the founts, which is what the manufacturer's directions would appear to say.)

Back
Top Bottom