Congested Sound/Cough

greenwos

Songster
Oct 23, 2020
Northern Ontario, Canada
My Coop
My Coop
I’ve done many different searches with different terms and haven’t come up with an answer, so I’m hoping you guys can shed some light on what is going on with one of our chickens.

Linguine is a 22-24 week old Red Sex Link. She is one of 8 hens in our well ventilated coop with an enclosed run on one side and and open run that’s goes into a bit of “forest” on the other. They also free range for about an hour every other day or so (I always supervise them, so it's when I have time and the weather is not too hot.) We recieved all the hens on June 9 from a hatchery.

About 5 days ago I noticed a bit of a congested sound from her but didn’t think anything of it. Two days ago she was quite a bit worse so I started researching.

Yesterday morning we separated her and examined her carefully. She has no discharge, no swelling on her face, and comb and wattles are the right colour. Her crop was not quite empty (before she ate anything) so we gave her water and massaged her crop to see if that would help.

These first two videos were taken at noon that day.

In the afternoon she seemed to be worse so we moved her to a cooler area and I checked and massaged her crop once more. After a bout of coughing and gurgling, she went back to be acting normal and didn't make any strange noises for quite a while. Her poops through the day have been normal according to the link full of poops someone else posted somewhere here.

She's had water all day and we gave her a little bit of food at a time, and more at supper time. After she ate at supper, she seemed to be worse for a while, then calmed down again.

This video is from today. She'll go long periods with nothing, then start again.

I have sent a video the vet, but haven't heard back from him yet. Honestly not sure how much he'll be able to help as it's more of a dog/cat practice. I should also mention we live in a small town in the middle of nowhere. There's no feed store, so anything we do/buy needs to be able to come from the pharmacy or the small pet store.

She's the only one of the flock acting like this. She's acting completely normal otherwise, so we're not sure at this point if it's simply a quirk, or if it's something more serious that needs to be dealt with.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

As long as you are not seeing any bubbles in an eye, nasal or eye drainage, or wheezing, I would just watch her and put her back in with the others. I could only hear a little sneezing, but that could be due to an irritant such as dust, feed, or the straw.

Back
Top Bottom