Conjunctivitis and not responding to antibiotic

Errands finished, and I offered Lucy some scratch and some dry feed on an aluminum pie plate. I rattled it and shook it. No reaction.

I got a friendly hen to come in and give Lucy a demonstration. The beak hitting the pie tin was plenty noisy, and while it drove the flock nuts that were all pressed up against the fence watching for some scratch to fall their way, Lucy wasn't the least bit interested.

Maybe she simply wants to quit eating and die. I close to giving up.

Can she hear?

I'm sorry that nothing is working Carol:hugs

I agree that giving her a few more days is a good idea, sometimes they will adapt to new things. I also agree with you that long term tube feeding, etc. is no way to live-either for you or her.

If/when you make the decision to put her down, let us know what you find.

Thanks. I am pretty sure Lucy can hear okay.

Tonight, Lucy came rushing out of her enclosure and ran into the coop. She found a perch and settled down. I thought if that's what she wants, okay. But peace was short lived. I was on the opposite side of the run when all shorts of chaos let loose. Screeching, squawking, and thumping and crashing noises.

I went around to the run entrance just in time to see Lucy outrunning the mob in hot pursuit. She was headed right for me and it was like catching a grounder on the infield. Lucy is now safe in her crate in the garage. It's obvious the flock doesn't want her in her condition.

I didn't feed her tonight or give her water. I want to see how much hunger might motivate her.

Thanks. I am pretty sure Lucy can hear okay.

Tonight, Lucy came rushing out of her enclosure and ran into the coop. She found a perch and settled down. I thought if that's what she wants, okay. But peace was short lived. I was on the opposite side of the run when all shorts of chaos let loose. Screeching, squawking, and thumping and crashing noises.

I went around to the run entrance just in time to see Lucy outrunning the mob in hot pursuit. She was headed right for me and it was like catching a grounder on the infield. Lucy is now safe in her crate in the garage. It's obvious the flock doesn't want her in her condition.

I didn't feed her tonight or give her water. I want to see how much hunger might motivate her.
I can't help but get a little tickled by your description - catching a grounder:lol:

It does sound like she wants back with the flock, so hopefully she will get it together. I do know that chickens can adapt, but they have to be motivated.
I think it is a good idea to see if hunger will be that motivator.

Back
Top Bottom