Connecticut!

Hi guys,

Our grand experiment with our accidental cockerel has gone awry......and we now need to rehome our beautiful guy. I figured I'd check here first in case anyone was in need (I told my husband I should have responded when Margitas was asking about Partridge Rocks a ways back. Argh. He wanted to wait and see.). I'm hoping this chicken can be something other than dinner.

Anyway, he's been great. His crowing is pretty brief, in the morning, and the neighbors don't mind. He's beautiful and so far fairly well-behaved, though I know hormones aren't fully there yet.

BUT he started trying to mate the hens a couple weeks ago..before even reaching 4 months old (all were born June 11 this year). We only have 2 large fowl hens, and 4 silkies. We hoped he'd see the silkies as non-mateable, but a couple days ago my husband found him standing on one of them. He's worried they'll get hurt, and the silkies are his babies, so now the rooster has to go.

Anyone interested in adding a Partridge Rock Rooster to their flock?

I can send pictures of him if anyone's up for it - we don't have any from the last couple weeks with his big-boy feathers.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me find a few birds in CT to add to my flock. The breeds I am interested in are delawares, barred rock, wyandotte, plymouth partridge rock, icelandic, and marans. Any help is greatly appreciated. Please no roo's as I am looking to fix my roo/hen ratio an more roo's would defeat the purpose! Thank you all :)

Hope all is well in your CT coops!

Is anyone going to any good shows coming up? The Boston Poultry Expo is Nov 3 and 4.
yippiechickie.gif

Ooh, thanks for reminding me! I hope we can go - my only extra chicken fix was the Harwinton and Goshen fairs.

We ended up rehoming our cockerel with my sister due to fears he would damage our silkies when mating, so now chicken math says we can maybe add some chicks next year.......and we need eye candy.

Ha ha. I just ordered at least 3 hatchery catalogs for winter perusal. MPC now has actual wheaten ameraucanas they say. Could have nice blue eggs without the Easter egger gamble. If I add a chicken for colored eggs a pale brown would be a bit disappointing.

I feel a little shallow now.:)

I know what you mean, it's nice to have some variety in your egg basket. I love what Barnavelders look like, but part of the appeal is the chocolate colored eggs, but I hear the american barnies don't make the nice dark ones, that's why I'm thinking marans.

Marans might be a good choice then. I love a nice chocolate brown too

Have you ever been to the Boston show? Anyone know what it's like? Lots of caged chickens and the judges walk around and make their decisions? Anything else?

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help me find a few birds in CT to add to my flock. The breeds I am interested in are delawares, barred rock, wyandotte, plymouth partridge rock, icelandic, and marans. Any help is greatly appreciated. Please no roo's as I am looking to fix my roo/hen ratio an more roo's would defeat the purpose! Thank you all :)

Hope all is well in your CT coops!​
Hi FarmerChic!
I have Icelandics, but don't have any extras right now. Maybe come springtime,
I've been pretty busy house hunting lately(looking for a bigger yard for my birds).
I have a friend in Burlington that has them also, but I don't know if she has any chicks right now.

Back
Top Bottom