Connecticut!

I'd look in the Northwest part of CT.. so beautiful up there. In some of the more woodsy areas the real estate prices were lower too. I used to look at the real estate listings there all the time... but there's no way we can leave our family farm that's been here for so long.. too sentimental! We are in Berlin (central CT) and not very many farms and you need 3+ acres to legally have chickens.

You're right in my hometown's backyard (Southington) Amazing that you need 3 acres to have chickens! That's just ridiculous! I can see an acre, but three?? There's not horses for crying out loud! We have an acre here but our one neighbor across the street from us that lives in an old renovated barn has 20+ acres behind them. My next closest neighbor is miles down the road. I love it here and would love to find something just like it in CT. All of our family and friends are in CT, we've made very few new ones with all the moving we've been doing over the last few years. Hoping to buy this time around.

Yay Im so happy yall would come!!!!!!!!!! only time will tell, Im getting excited, I'd love to meet all yall

A good town to visit for realestate is Northford, or Durham ct, youll find alot of farms, nice 1/2 acre-3 acre properties at a reasonable price, and not too far from great shopping areas also!!!

Aldo

You're right in my hometown's backyard (Southington) Amazing that you need 3 acres to have chickens! That's just ridiculous! I can see an acre, but three?? There's not horses for crying out loud! We have an acre here but our one neighbor across the street from us that lives in an old renovated barn has 20+ acres behind them. My next closest neighbor is miles down the road. I love it here and would love to find something just like it in CT. All of our family and friends are in CT, we've made very few new ones with all the moving we've been doing over the last few years. Hoping to buy this time around.

It's crazy! Thankfully we have over 3 acres! In the law it even says you need three acres for rabbits. Even one bunny! I'm actually right on the Southington town line, if you remember where the Timberlin golf course is, I'm off of that road. Behind our yard, we have 60 acres of woods (not owned by us) but it's so nice.

It's crazy! Thankfully we have over 3 acres! In the law it even says you need three acres for rabbits. Even one bunny!  I'm actually right on the Southington town line, if you remember where the Timberlin golf course is, I'm off of that road. Behind our yard, we have 60 acres of woods (not owned by us) but it's so nice. 

Ohh ok, yea I know right where that is. My father used to golf there. That's the road I always took to the mall. And we bought out Christmas trees from the family that lived at the end of that road (not Karabin farms, the one close to the mall at the end of that road DeMarias?? I could be totally off with the name, it's been a while lol

Ohh ok, yea I know right where that is. My father used to golf there. That's the road I always took to the mall. And we bought out Christmas trees from the family that lived at the end of that road (not Karabin farms, the one close to the mall at the end of that road DeMarias?? I could be totally off with the name, it's been a while lol

Yes the DeMarias! That's right over where I live. There's like three big Christmas tree farms in walking distance for me, haha. Horbals, DeMaria and Laviana's. Then one small one with no name.

Yes the DeMarias! That's right over where I live. There's like three big Christmas tree farms in walking distance for me, haha. Horbals, DeMaria and Laviana's. Then one small one with no name. 

Wow, I can't believe I remembered the name LOL well I'll have to do some looking around in the Northwestern parts. I really hope we can find something with lots of acreage. My husband would like seeing as how we just bought a John Deer and he mows the grass every other day (ok not every other day, but we've been getting a ton a rain so you can only imagine how fast our lawn has been growing) LOL

Wow, I can't believe I remembered the name LOL well I'll have to do some looking around in the Northwestern parts. I really hope we can find something with lots of acreage. My husband would like seeing as how we just bought a John Deer and he mows the grass every other day (ok not every other day, but we've been getting a ton a rain so you can only imagine how fast our lawn has been growing) LOL

Haha!
smile.png
There was one property last year that had like 20 acres, a couple barns on the property & already had fencing... I was in love. I kept looking at the pictures thinking.. 20 acres! We have two tractors.. one John Deere and one 1949 Farmall, so you can imagine how much time my husband spends riding around on them! We don't even have a ton of grass since most of our property is wooded, but he's out towing things around that probably don't even need to be moved lol.

I figured I'd post this in case it helps anyone else. If you're looking for a vet who treats chickens (& actually owns them herself), Dr. C at Kensington Bird & Animal Hospital (in Berlin) is amazing. In addition to all the regular pets, she does all types of birds & exotic pets & small animals. I have a sick chicken right now and she saw us immediately yesterday. She is also my regular vet, but this is the first time I've had to bring a chicken in, although I've seen them in the office before. And my chicken is already improving
smile.png
I go there too, for chickens. Dr. Luckstone repaired my chick with umbilical hernia - unabsorbed yolk sac. Plus have been back other times with diff chickens. It's nice to be in waiting room where there are other crazy people with ducks in cat carriers and neurotic parrots, etc. :)

I go there too, for chickens. Dr. Luckstone repaired my chick with umbilical hernia - unabsorbed yolk sac. Plus have been back other times with diff chickens. It's nice to be in waiting room where there are other crazy people with ducks in cat carriers and neurotic parrots, etc.
smile.png

Exactly! You don't feel odd for bringing your animals in, I swear I see more birds than dogs there. They even performed surgery on a guinea pig for us!

I'm on the boarder, but while I don't have any chicks right now I will soon. My chicken is broody so I'm trying to get her eggs this week that will hatch in 3 weeks. I don't have room to keep them all so...
Keep me posted :) I let them know and they are around a week from being ready I believe. I also passed along some other people's info. Good Luck with the broody girl.
Exactly! You don't feel odd for bringing your animals in, I swear I see more birds than dogs there. They even performed surgery on a guinea pig for us!
I wish I could find someone like that Vet around me....I hear about them in CT and NJ...and upstate NY.
Sounds lovely.

Back
Top Bottom