Connecticut!

Do you lock them up in the coop at night? Right now, with as cold a it is, only 4 of them are in the coop. The other five are on their perch in the run! Brrrrr crazy chickens

All my chickens roost inside the coop at night, and I close their door even though they have a run. I'm not using a heater and they seem ok so far. It is so cold right now I'm tempted to plug a thermostatic coop heater, but if they can tough it out, I kinda prefer not to.

In the spring or sooner I will be hatching lots of hatching eggs to sell the chicks. I hope to hatch frizzles, silkies, naked necks, polish, as well as some others. Not preselling but curious who would be interested in buying any chicks.

Do you have pics of the parent stock?

Just curious.. how much does everyone else pay for bales of straw? I feel like we're paying too much.. or maybe the price has just gone up in general. But I'd love to hear how much everyone else is paying in CT.

Do you lock them up in the coop at night? Right now, with as cold a it is, only 4 of them are in the coop. The other five are on their perch in the run! Brrrrr crazy chickens

A few of mine were sleeping outside in the run, when the weather got below 40 I would go out every night and put them in and close the door. Now they're going in on their own. Some of my chickens are really NOT BRIGHT. I don't think they should be out in the cold at night. They snuggle up really nicely with the others in the coop. I have a water warmer and thats it out there and they're doing great.

cedar acres>> I use shavings for my floor area, but in my nesting boxes and sometimes spread on the floor, Lucerne Ground Cover, it's pricier than hay I imagine, but it's mold resistant which I definitely like, smells good, and the chicks like poking thru it..I pay around 11.99 for a bale

Just curious.. how much does everyone else pay for bales of straw? I feel like we're paying too much.. or maybe the price has just gone up in general. But I'd love to hear how much everyone else is paying in CT.
about 9 bucks, that's up about 50% from a couple of years back. I think the droughts in other parts of the country are driving up prices everywhere.

Maybe there is a reason why. Is your coop completely predator proof? The reason I ask is that someone posted the same thing last winter except she said a few of her birds were dead in the morning. It turned out that she hadn't realized that something (smallish) had burrowed in and frightened the girls from going in and they froze.

Maybe there is a reason why. Is your coop completely predator proof? The reason I ask is that someone posted the same thing last winter except she said a few of her birds were dead in the morning. It turned out that she hadn't realized that something (smallish) had burrowed in and frightened the girls from going in and they froze.
Ya there may be something that dug under the coop floor and is scratching the bottom of the coop which is scaring away your chickens

They are in a coop that is raised with a run under it and then we built another larger run attached to it. They are also in a fenced in area right outside our back door. It's the one spot in the yard that gets direct sunlight all year round. They only way in to that area is by going up the porch stairs, through a latched gate, across the porch, through another latched gate and then into the fence area. I've got these girls in Fort Knox. Haha.
I will put the renegades in the coop tonight an see what tomorrow brings.
1f60a.png

I so appreciate this groups love and support!!!

Back
Top Bottom