Connecticut!

:rolleyes::jumpy
Waiting on the snow to arrive today and giving my chicken run some thought....I am adopting 8 chicks in April and have become a bit chicken obsessed! I am spending the winter designing our coop and could use some advice. Since we have roughly the same weather and trees/ foliage in CT figured I would start here. :D

My coop will be raised and the run attached at one end roughly 12 x 20' (run only). I am cutting down a few trees but would like to keep 1-2 for shade. The issue is they are Oak and I have read Oaks can be bad for chickens....does anyone here have oaks near their chickens and had any issues? Are there any other CT plants or trees I need to worry about? Thank you! Btw ANY advice is welcome!

Cathy

Well here we go it's official winter is here first we get incased in ice now it's snowing then the deep freeze,that's the end of any outdoor chores. Depressing!!!

Last edited:
H
Waiting on the snow to arrive today and giving my chicken run some thought....I am adopting 8 chicks in April and have become a bit chicken obsessed! I am spending the winter designing our coop and could use some advice. Since we have roughly the same weather and trees/ foliage in CT figured I would start here. :D

My coop will be raised and the run attached at one end roughly 12 x 20' (run only). I am cutting down a few trees but would like to keep 1-2 for shade. The issue is they are Oak and I have read Oaks can be bad for chickens....does anyone here have oaks near their chickens and had any issues? Are there any other CT plants or trees I need to worry about? Thank you! Btw ANY advice is welcome!

Cathy[/quote
Hi and welcome you can do a search on here and it will tell you everything you need to know as for oak trees not to worry that's all thar surround my chickens and haven't had any problems I even mulch them in the fall and throw in there run and I know it's exciting getting first chicks everything will work out congrats!

H

Cathy[/quote
Hi and welcome you can do a search on here and it will tell you everything you need to know as for oak trees not to worry that's all thar surround my chickens and haven't had any problems I even mulch them in the fall and throw in there run and I know it's exciting getting first chicks everything will work out congrats!

P.s sorry about the spelling it's early.

Hi ChcNLove, I'm on the shoreline to:) Here's a pic of my set up.
I used 1/2 hardware mesh top/sides, we have lots of coyotes/hawks, coons, snakes , you name it where I am so I am rather paranoid :)

Can't free range mine because of the 'critters', but may try it this spring when I can supervise better..My run is 12 x 22, barn is a rebuild that smashed during storm sandy, love my rebuild lots more room

Hi ChcNLove, I'm on the shoreline to:) Here's a pic of my set up. I used 1/2 hardware mesh top/sides, we have lots of coyotes/hawks, coons, snakes , you name it where I am so I am rather paranoid :) Can't free range mine because of the 'critters', but may try it this spring when I can supervise better..My run is 12 x 22, barn is a rebuild that smashed during storm sandy, love my rebuild lots more room
Wow. That is really nice!!! I love it :)

Hi ChcNLove, I'm on the shoreline to:) Here's a pic of my set up.
I used 1/2 hardware mesh top/sides, we have lots of coyotes/hawks, coons, snakes , you name it where I am so I am rather paranoid :)

Can't free range mine because of the 'critters', but may try it this spring when I can supervise better..My run is 12 x 22, barn is a rebuild that smashed during storm sandy, love my rebuild lots more room

really nice and BIG! how many chickens do you have?

Back
Top Bottom