Connecticut!

I would agree with new chick about insulating I think the advantages are worth it especially when we have those winter winds kickin,as long as you have proper ventilation and it's also a good idea to put a few windows in it if building yourself,this allows alot of cross ventilation which keeps the chickens cooler during the summer.
People forget, warmth in the coop isn't the enemy, moisture is. The key is to build a bit of a heat bank while not retaining all the moisture from their respiration.

Yes, a window is great for instant ventilation in Summer but also, keep in mind how much time they spend inside in Winter. A light source will make it nicer inside and help them lay. Egg production is stimulated by the amount of light that comes though their eyes.

Beacon Falls folks... I was wondering about the chicken zoning regs in your area... there is an interesting property I am going to go look at there but I don't know much about the area. I don't even know if it has its own schools... my children are grown so that doesn't matter much... just need to know if its a chicken friendly zone or not.

You are allowed 20 chickens. Coop supposed to be a certain number of feet from property line I believe. No mention of roosters in the zoning - the 2 cream legbar roo's we got from you crow regularly throughout the day and no one has complained so far. I know of a house in BF that has a horse and at least 2 goats and they don't legally have enough property for any of them. What road is the property on? We have several on our road for sale, including the house next door.

For schools it's Region 16 with Prospect - each town has their own elementary school, the middle school is in Prospect, and the high school is in Beacon Falls.

Thanks for the Beacon Falls info.... I'm looking for a more chicken friendly zone... would like to maybe have a small farm. 20 is not quite enough. The Beacon Falls property I was looking at has 6+ acres.... 186 West Rd... sounded interesting but the 20 chicken restriction is definitely an issue. Guess I'd better start looking for the right towns first, not the properties. If anyone has suggestions I'm interested. The taxes here in Newtown are a bit high... would like a few acres to raise organic eggs possibly even soy free.

I keep forgetting that since moving to NY from CT 4 years ago, you guys have gotten hit with snow a lot more than we have!
wink.png
. I will keep an eye out I'm pretty sure I saw an ad on CL not too long ago for those. Anyone here know of anyone who has magpie ducks or ducklings for sale in CT? I'm going to be coming down there at the end of August and have been searching all over for a female magpie duck. I would be open to purchasing a couple of ducklings though if they are still too young to tell the gender. TIA!

Hello my fellow chicken lovers,
Although I don't post very often, I'm am constantly lerking and learning from all of you-thanks for that :)
I need to get rid of my beloved Rooster Rex; I'm not zoned for chickens and he's making quite a lot of noise looking over
His harem. He's a beauty and I really want him to go to a good home (where he won't be eaten).
Does any one have any ideas?

Thanks for the Beacon Falls info.... I'm looking for a more chicken friendly zone... would like to maybe have a small farm. 20 is not quite enough. The Beacon Falls property I was looking at has 6+ acres.... 186 West Rd... sounded interesting but the 20 chicken restriction is definitely an issue. Guess I'd better start looking for the right towns first, not the properties. If anyone has suggestions I'm interested. The taxes here in Newtown are a bit high... would like a few acres to raise organic eggs possibly even soy free.

Organic soy free eggs - would be a dream for me. That is why we bought chicks this year - the need for eggs that don't make us sick and don't cost $10/doz... Good luck in your location scouting!

Also, based on what I'm reading in the Beacon Falls info, it looks like the aggregate of 20 chickens is based on any lot size, so there might be a difference with the greater than 5 acres lot size.

Last edited:
Any body know about Oxford... I spent some time reading thru the zoning reg and could find nothing

I looked too today and can't find anything - just stuff for horses and farm animals (I doubt they would be considered farm animals that you need 1 acre for every farm animal). I know someone in Oxford who got some chicks this year for her son's schooling but they have a farm with horses, cows, and pigs so that doesn't help. Taxes in Oxford are probably not low since they just built a high school.

Our first egg! Not sure who laid it other than the EE's but I think it's the red-sex link who is noisy over the silver laced wyandotte who has the biggest wattles, etc.

Back
Top Bottom