Connecticut!

CM- I have a RIR in my flock and she started laying at 4 months. If you could post a pick of her head and legs it would help. Pale legs and blood red comb and waddles are a good sign. Mine never did the submissive squat. The rule for nesting boxes is 5:1. But they will all have their favorite and may all lay in the same one!! My wait in line for 2 of the 4 in the morning and I have 19 hens.

I got my first hens end of April they are RI reds there still not laying is there a time frame when they normally do everyone I have talked to says something different some said 6months some said 8 months and a few said a full year? Also I have 17 hens how many nesting spots should I have? Thank you all so much.
I would give them at least 4 but you don't need more than 8. Honestly they will more than likely use one they have deemed the best. Sometimes you will see two trying to lay in the same box while others are empty. Chickens are a funny bunch. I have seen three in the same box. One sat, one other walked in and layed on top of her, then along came a third, forced second one out and layed on the original. It's hilarious. Warning - don't watch with stitches, you'll bust em. I would bet they will all lay in the same box or two with the occasional single in a non-favorite box.

I haven't checken in for a few weeks. It's nice to see so many new chicken people.
welcome-byc.gif

I can't post any pics AME not sure why I am not very electronic savvy Lol...there legs aren't pale there brighter yellow there combs are red though I'll try again to send a pic today but not a single egg from any of the 17 hens I have thanks for advice with the boxes

Could be diet or genetics. Most likely they just aren't ready. Consider supplementing with vitamins. I use liquid and add to the water. I have also used pellets to mix in the food, I find it less effective as you can't know which chicken gets what amounts of vitamin pellets and therefore will have uneven distribution of vitamins amongst the flock. Additional questions
What are you feeding them?
Are they free range?
Have you heard an "egg song" yet?
Do you provide them with supplemental calciums such as crushed oyster shells or similar?
Also, a ton of info on these subjects are in this forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/18/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying

Last edited:
They free range as well as I give feed not sure brand off top of head...I give them crushed oyster shells as well they also get tons scraps from my crops. I don't know what an "egg song " is first time having chickens. Thanks for all the help and that link good bit of info.

Egg Song:

I should have been more clear. Are you feeding chick, layer, grower, game, ect.?

Being that they free range, they are more than likely getting good nutrients. Sounds to me you are just going to have to wait. It will be time when it is time and you will know. Just check the boxes everyday and listen for the egg song.

Is anyone interested in a little cockerel?

Since I'm not allowed to have roosters where I live, sadly I'll have to give away him.
Jello is a BCM and GLW cross who is free to a good home. I hatched him this summer on August 10th along with two other chicks. He enjoys being with people and will often follow me around believing that I am his mother. :) Here are some pictures of him:

Jello when he was a newborn.

PM me if you are interested!

Back
Top Bottom