Connecticut!

Hi Nutmeggers and any surrounding friends across borders.
I'm up in the quiet corner in Plainfield but must relocate out of CT in short notice. I have a flock of 12 New Hampshire Red hens and a Barred Rock roo I need to rehome. They're 18 month old, healthy egg machines. If you're intersted please reply, looking for a good home for them.

@Kh1988 how about this for timing?

Hello All
First time posting, looking in getting a chicken coop and 6-8 chickens. I've been doing research on this for the past several months any advice would be great.
Buying a coop
Buying chickens
Etc...
Thanks

Hello All
First time posting, looking in getting a chicken coop and 6-8 chickens. I've been doing research on this for the past several months any advice would be great.
Buying a coop
Buying chickens
Etc...
Thanks

Hello,

Welcome to BYC!

Research is always a great place to start. So you'll need to decide, where do you want your chickens to come from; hatchery, feed store, a breeder, or even getting eggs and incubating yourself? Whether you want to start with chicks, poulets, or even hens will also change where and what you can get. The older you go the harder it will be to get what you want. Also breeds, do you want meat birds, eggs layers, or just pets with eggs on the side?

Also if you want 6-8 you'll have to decide if you're going to maybe expand that number at all whether it's now or in the future, because that will determine your coop. I have purchased my coop from tractor supply it holds 6-8 standard chickens (although I have 10 because a couple are bantams) for $199 and it's a great starter coop. You can also build a coop you can usually build something simple that can hold 8-12 birds for about $200-$300 I'd say.

When you get your birds you'll have to decide if you want to brood them in the house or the coop. (That is for chicks) also if you decide inside I highly recommend not putting them in your bedroom. It sounds like an amazing idea, but it's not.

I myself have a silkie rooster, two gold sexlink hen (tractor supply is calling them tetra browns this year), two barred rock hens, and have 5 more chicks on the way
Easter egger hens
Silkie hen
And silver cuckoo maran hens.

I hope something I've said was helpful to you or becomes helpful to you in someway.
Keep in mind owning chickens is an amazing, entertaining, and rewarding experience. So just relax and take it one day at a time.

I'm interested in hatching some chicks in may and was curious if anyone in CT had an incubator on hand that I could borrow / rent.
I'm willing to pay and even give you some chicks if anyone is interested! I'm not certain on how many eggs I'm interested in hatching.

Fairfield county, there aren't any near by. I'm also more interested in either a brinsea or other with an automatic egg turner as opposed to the still air one they're offering for $44

Last edited:
Fairfield county, there aren't any near by. I'm also more interested in either a brinsea or other with an automatic egg turner as opposed to the still air one they're offering for $44
I have seen some good deals for used ones on Craigs List or you might try Ebay. I got a 48 egg Janoel with egg turner for around $60, There are also some cheaper off brand ones.

We have 2 Pekin Ducks, 3 weeks old that we need to give away. Very people friendly!!
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom